geomagnetic fall to earth

by timacho
Tags: earth, fall, geomagnetic
timacho
Jan24-12, 10:38 PM
P: 7
can somebody explain to me what is geomagnetic that recently run down to earth?
i really want to know.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
Drakkith
Jan24-12, 11:49 PM
PF Gold
P: 11,018
I'm sorry, what are you referring to? I've never heard of a geomagnetic.
timacho
Feb1-12, 05:12 AM
P: 7
i'm really sorry if i got it wrong. but, i just want to know about something at the space that fall to earth, and produce solar storm.i dont really know what it is.

JCMacaw
Feb1-12, 12:02 PM
P: 1

geomagnetic fall to earth

Maybe he is referring to the geomagnetic storm that was caused by a solar coronal mass ejection and caused the aurora borealis on January 24?
Radrook
Feb4-12, 07:43 PM
P: 334
Here is an excerpt from an article that explains it in detail.

Geomagnetic storm
A geomagnetic storm is a temporary disturbance of the Earth's magnetosphere caused by a disturbance in the interplanetary medium. A geomagnetic storm is a major component of space weather and provides the input for many other components of space weather. A geomagnetic storm is caused by a solar wind shock wave and/or cloud of magnetic field which interacts with the Earth's magnetic field.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_storm
Timacho, please note that the geomagnetic storm does not produce a solar storm. Quite the opposite. The geomagnetic storm itself is caused by solar activity. It is
called "geomagnetic" [geo=earth] because it is triggered when the solar wind interacts with earth's magnetic field.

Register to reply