Register to reply

Geomagnetic fall to earth

by timacho
Tags: earth, fall, geomagnetic
Share this thread:
timacho
Jan24-12, 10:38 PM
P: 7
can somebody explain to me what is geomagnetic that recently run down to earth?
i really want to know.
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Toothpaste fluorine formed in stars
Eclipsing binary stars discovered by high school students
Swirling electrons in the whirlpool galaxy
Drakkith
Jan24-12, 11:49 PM
Mentor
P: 11,837
I'm sorry, what are you referring to? I've never heard of a geomagnetic.
timacho
Feb1-12, 05:12 AM
P: 7
i'm really sorry if i got it wrong. but, i just want to know about something at the space that fall to earth, and produce solar storm.i dont really know what it is.

JCMacaw
Feb1-12, 12:02 PM
P: 1
Geomagnetic fall to earth

Maybe he is referring to the geomagnetic storm that was caused by a solar coronal mass ejection and caused the aurora borealis on January 24?
Radrook
Feb4-12, 07:43 PM
P: 334
Here is an excerpt from an article that explains it in detail.

Geomagnetic storm
A geomagnetic storm is a temporary disturbance of the Earth's magnetosphere caused by a disturbance in the interplanetary medium. A geomagnetic storm is a major component of space weather and provides the input for many other components of space weather. A geomagnetic storm is caused by a solar wind shock wave and/or cloud of magnetic field which interacts with the Earth's magnetic field.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_storm
Timacho, please note that the geomagnetic storm does not produce a solar storm. Quite the opposite. The geomagnetic storm itself is caused by solar activity. It is
called "geomagnetic" [geo=earth] because it is triggered when the solar wind interacts with earth's magnetic field.

Register to reply