Register to reply

Hardcore re-arrangement help

by 3123marriott
Tags: hardcore, rearrangement
Share this thread:
3123marriott
Feb2-12, 05:40 AM
P: 1
if anyone can do this i will be very happy ive had a good old try and i end up just lost in variables
i would like to re-arrange to make apipe the subject

Click image for larger version

Name:	eq.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	43400

i ended up with the sqrt of one apipe which i dont know how to solve;

thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
chiro
Feb2-12, 06:54 AM
P: 4,572
Quote Quote by 3123marriott View Post
if anyone can do this i will be very happy ive had a good old try and i end up just lost in variables
i would like to re-arrange to make apipe the subject

Attachment 43400

i ended up with the sqrt of one apipe which i dont know how to solve;

thanks
Hey 3123marriott and welcome to the forums.

[EDIT] I made a really stupid mistake by not reading the whole thing properly so I will post reply later.
chiro
Feb2-12, 07:05 AM
P: 4,572
Ok then.

For this problem I think it may actually be an implicit problem meaning that you can't just represent it in a normal functional manner (like APipe(blah) = blah). This means that you will end up getting an implicit equation instead of an explicit equation. If this is the case you will have to use a root finding algorithm to get answers given that you have values for the other parameters.

It would be helpful if you show your work so that we can give you hints and help you understand for yourself what is going on.

HallsofIvy
Feb2-12, 08:23 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,353
Hardcore re-arrangement help

Since this question is in basic algebra, not "linear and abstract algebra", I am moving it to "General Mathematics".
dodo
Feb2-12, 09:54 AM
P: 688
I'd try the following (if there is no gross mistake in what follows): multiply up and down the right-hand side by [itex]{\sqrt g}[/itex], and pass [itex]g \, C_0 A_{pipe} \sqrt 2[/itex] multiplying to the left; then take [itex]A_{tank} \sqrt{Z_{full}}[/itex] as common factors on the right and pass them dividing to the left:[tex]
\frac {g T C_0 A_{pipe}} {A_{tank}} \sqrt {\frac 2 {Z_{full}}} = 2 \sqrt g - \sqrt{\frac{C_f L P}{A_{pipe}}}
[/tex]Now substitute [itex]B^2 = A_{pipe}[/itex], and multiply through by one more [itex]B[/itex]:[tex]
\frac {g T C_0} {A_{tank}} \sqrt {\frac 2 {Z_{full}}} B^3 - 2 \sqrt g B + \sqrt{C_f L P} = 0
[/tex]
That's a cubic equation in [itex]B[/itex], which should have at least one real solution (or maybe three):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_f...cubic_function

For each non-negative solution, take [itex]A_{pipe} = \sqrt B[/itex] as a solution to your original problem.

P.S.: Oh well, that's what chiro was saying all along...

Register to reply