Register to reply

Size of a Human Male's Penis

by Turtle
Tags: human, male, penis, size
Share this thread:
Turtle
Sep12-03, 02:40 PM
P: 71
Why do human males care so much of their penis size? The answer to this question is simply sexual
selection. A long time ago females choose males by sexual selection, then during evolution that pratice went a way, but not instinctly. Males have this instinct that their penis would get them a female, embedded in male's minds. Any thoughts to my theory?
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
From dandruff to deep sea vents, an ecologically hyper-diverse fungus
Mentat
Sep12-03, 03:09 PM
P: 3,715
Originally posted by Turtle
Why do human males care so much of their penis size? The answer to this question is simply sexual
selection. A long time ago females choose males by sexual selection, then during evolution that pratice went a way, but not instinctly. Males have this instinct that their penis would get them a female, embedded in male's minds. Any thoughts to my theory?
Um...yeah...I have one thought:
Turtle
Sep12-03, 03:11 PM
Why?

FZ+
Sep12-03, 06:18 PM
P: 1,954
Size of a Human Male's Penis

Er... hmm... I think it more a cultural thing...
Gale
Sep12-03, 08:12 PM
P: 676
humans care about how they look, how big their nose and eyes are, their butts, their chest, there muscles and whatnot. the penis is just one more thing to brag and boast about or be ashamed of. guys compare it just like anyother part of the body. perhaps it may have added significance because it's... hidden away, but aside from that, nah. personally, i think there is way weirder things that guys compare... but the one thats springing to my mind... well i'm not sure how appropriate it is here...
Turtle
Sep13-03, 12:16 PM
humans care about how they look, how big their nose and eyes are, their butts,
their chest, there muscles and whatnot. the penis is just one more thing to brag
and boast about or be ashamed of. guys compare it just like anyother part of the
body. perhaps it may have added significance because it's... hidden away, but
aside from that, nah. personally, i think there is way weirder things that guys
compare... but the one thats springing to my mind... well i'm not sure how
appropriate it is here...
The caring of how one looks go back to human days of sexual selection.
Robert Zaleski
Sep13-03, 05:44 PM
P: 74
I've never been able to understand it. HOLY MOLY! I'm late for the pole vault competition.
Another God
Sep14-03, 12:24 AM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 1,026
A long time ago females choose males by sexual selection, then during evolution that pratice went a way, but not instinctly. Males have this instinct that their penis would get them a female, embedded in male's minds. Any thoughts to my theory?
I don't think you mean that 'sexual selection' went away do you? I thin you mean that the sexual selection based on penis size went away.

This may seem to be the case in todays society, but we can't really be sure. Females do still notice penis size. It's pretty hard to miss in a sexual relationship. How big a role it plays in mate selection though is something I can't really comment on, and I doubt anyone else here could. Social dynamics have probably changed too much in the past 5 thousand years for evolution to possibly adapt our instincts to our situation, so things would be confused.

As for the original hypothesis, that penis size played a role in sexual selection, i have to point out that even this point is not certain, and if it did play a role, it was probably only one of many determining factors. So not only do you need to have some reason to believe that penis size was selected by females, but you also need to show that it played a large enough role in the selection process to really influence anything.
zoobyshoe
Sep15-03, 05:27 AM
P: 5,630
Males have this instinct that their penis would get them a female, embedded in male's minds. Any thoughts to my theory?
I don't believe men
start off with any instinctual
notions about the size of their
penis and getting women. If you
come to believe this is important
it is because you have been taught
that it is by other people, men
or women.
I have found it to be a fact that
a good proportion of women will
speak of a larger penis as a more
attractive prospect. The word
larger is the operative
word. It usually comes down to the
desire to upgrade relative to what they're used to, rather than to
find the most humongous man there
is.

A woman of my acquaintence once
told me the story of how her
urinary tract was collapsed (or
some such thing) after she began
having sex with an exceptionally
large man. The doctor had to insert some kind of expander in
it to open it back up, which was
painful and strange. This man was
just too big for her.

For most women, though, the
"desire to upgrade" as I put it
seems to take a back seat to the
usually stronger desire to be in-
timate with someone with whom they
feel strong emotional attachment.
If there is anything authentically
instinctual in this whole issue I
think it is here: women will be
more drawn to bond with the man
who seems to them to be the more
loyal husband and father. The reason is obvious - they don't
want to have to raise kids alone.

Some women don't want to have kids
at all, and western society has
finally adjusted to accomodate
them. These women may or may not
want to get married. They may or may not be in persuit of larger
penises in the hope of greater
pleasure.

A concluding twist: I think the
phenomenon of men bragging to each
other about penis size is a whole
separate issue from mating and
natural selection, if you catch my
drift.
radagast
Sep15-03, 09:18 AM
P: 460
The caring of how one looks go back to human days of sexual selection.
Perhaps, but you're assuming that most previous cultures also assumed that a big penis was 'attractive'. Currently, big breasts are considered attractive in western culture, but this isn't universal. In ancient Rome, it was common for women to bind their breasts (even during sex) - apparently big breasts were considered unattractive.

There is a danger in generalizing our current culture to all cultures.
Turtle
Sep16-03, 03:00 PM
I don't think you mean that 'sexual selection' went away do you? I thin you mean
that the sexual selection based on penis size went away.
Penis size, but other form of selection with it, went away but the instinct is within us, women as well have their sexual selection instincts within them.
Perhaps, but you're assuming that most previous cultures also assumed that a big
penis was 'attractive'. Currently, big breasts are considered attractive in western
culture, but this isn't universal. In ancient Rome, it was common for women to bind
their breasts (even during sex) - apparently big breasts were considered
unattractive.

There is a danger in generalizing our current culture to all cultures.
All cultures of sexual selection instincts.
JC
Mar11-04, 06:26 PM
P: 2
The evolution of the human penis may to tied to the evolution of walking upright, the development of the brain, and the devolopment of emotion. Face to face copulation is more feasible with upright humans and, arguably, more intimate. However, the female sexual organ was still more towards the rear. As a result, a larger penis is needed for copulation. Therefore, woman chose (women do the choosing) larger endowed men. This is where it, most likely, started. In order to reach the large size that it is now, the evolutionary process had to start well before cultural influences had a play, and the instinct is still being passed down.

In addition, an English school did a study on whether the position of vagina was still evolving towards the front of the body. They found that 30% of women's vaginas were still positioned closer to the rear. Does the instinct still have necessity? Perhaps.

Culteral influences may have a role, but more so in the far future, as evolution does not happen overnight. Even explosive evolution still need thousands of years.

An interesting question is whether the vaginal canal has evolved to accommodate a larger penis. If penises are getting bigger while the position of the vagina is moving foward, there may be a need for adaptation.
jammieg
Mar27-04, 10:46 PM
P: n/a
How big is a lesbian's penis?
Kerrie
Mar27-04, 11:02 PM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 1,192
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe
A woman of my acquaintence once
told me the story of how her
urinary tract was collapsed (or
some such thing) after she began
having sex with an exceptionally
large man. The doctor had to insert some kind of expander in
it to open it back up, which was
painful and strange. This man was
just too big for her.
this is absolutely true, especially for the small petite women...it can be very painful and unenjoyable...so men, don't be too sensitive if your manhood isn't all what you think it should be! it's quality over quanity in this instance...
julianmummery
Jun17-04, 05:06 AM
P: 4
Hmmm,

Large penises only contribute to large egos and serve no other bioligical purpose. In fact the female can accomodate a vast range of sizes from small to large and the muscles inside the vagina will change shape to accomodate, therefore should feel the same.

Also the most sensitive part of the vagina is the first two inches. So there you go, nature has come up with a plan so no one gets left out.

Any other reason for large ones is silly.
Kerrie
Jun17-04, 08:27 PM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 1,192
In fact the female can accomodate a vast range of sizes from small to large and the muscles inside the vagina will change shape to accomodate, therefore should feel the same.
Also the most sensitive part of the vagina is the first two inches. So there you go, nature has come up with a plan so no one gets left out.

are you male or female? if male, then i think this is wishful thinking.
decibel
Jun17-04, 09:28 PM
P: 116
ummm.....lol
i'v always been happy
Thallium
Jun18-04, 09:17 AM
P: 263
i don't care for their sizes. But I'm a woman. As long as he is a man, I am quite, quite happy!

Register to reply