Register to reply

Modelling the sound of a drum head.

by arth_e
Tags: drum, head, modelling, sound
Share this thread:
arth_e
Feb3-12, 08:38 PM
P: 1
Please excuse me if this is not the most appropriate subforum for this question and please move it if necessary.

I am trying to make a numerical model with Mathematica to synthesize the sound of a struck drum head (circular membrane).

I solve the wave equation for a circular membrane to get a numerical function for amplitude u(time,position) which depends on some striking function f. But now I don't know how to convert the information to obtain a 1-dimensional time series that can be listened to with the speakers. I feel I am missing something fundamental here.

In the case of a string, one can pick any point on it x0 , and then the function u(t,x0) can be sent straight to the speakers provided x0 is not on a node of the string. I am guessing this is kind of the same way a guitar pick up works (?) . However in the case I of the drum, isolating an arbitrary point on the surface does not feel it should be physically accurate representation of the sound.

Looking forward to hear your opinion,

Arthur

edit: here is a java application that can produce a drum head sound http://www.falstad.com/circosc/
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors

Register to reply