by polyb
Tags: $100, conspiracy, offers, prize, sept, theorist
polyb
Dec20-04, 06:18 PM
P: 176
So do we have any takers?

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.zogby.com/Soundbites/ReadClips.dbm?ID=10574

Jimmy Walter has spent more than $3 million promoting a conspiracy theory the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States were "an inside job" and he is offering more cash to anyone who proves him wrong.

The millionaire activist is so convinced of a government cover-up he is offering a $100,000 reward to any engineering student who can prove the World Trade Center buildings crashed the way the government says.

In short, all you have to do is prove that the towers fell according to the 'official story' line. 100k, this should be easily worth the time. If you can prove it, I bet it would make a nice stocking stuffer for christmas!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
TheStatutoryApe
Dec20-04, 10:50 PM
P: 1,549
I'm not quite sure how willing he'd be to concede defeat on the matter if anyone did supply him with some sort of proof. He seems to be rather set in his ideas on the matter.
russ_watters
Dec20-04, 11:16 PM
Mentor
P: 22,008
What, precisely, would convince him?

polyb
Dec20-04, 11:31 PM

Sept. 11 Conspiracy Theorist Offers $100,000 Prize

He does have the money though! I did a little net search on the guy and apparently this is the son of Jim Walter, most notably of "Jim Walter Homes".

Zogby found it reliable enough to post it on his sight. According to the article he has already advertised this in The New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, The New Yorker and Newsweek. Apparently he willing to put his money where his mouth is if the full page ads have already been placed. As far as the 'proof' goes, well that very well could be costly and time consuming. Would it be worth it?

Of course I prefer my 'proof' to be around 80 or so, preferebly a scotch blend!
polyb
Dec20-04, 11:33 PM
Quote Quote by russ_watters
What, precisely, would convince him?
I dont know russ, take it up with him. If he can define those paramaters than would you be up for it?
Chronos
Dec21-04, 02:15 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,185
err, I know a little bit about structural supports and heat effects on load factors. Would certified affadavits by credentialled metallurgists and design engineers carry any weight?
russ_watters
Dec21-04, 06:23 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by polyb
I dont know russ, take it up with him. If he can define those paramaters than would you be up for it?
From the article:
He said a panel of expert engineers would judge submissions from the students.
He would be hard-pressed to find an "expert engineer" who doesn't already accept the conventional explanation. So convincing and real panel of expert engineers would require only regurgitation of that explanation. Since I find it unlikely that it would be that easy, no, I don't think it'd be worth my time. Also:
"I don't trust any of these 'facts."'
If he won't accept any facts, there really isn't anything to discuss with him.
kcballer21
Dec21-04, 10:07 AM
P: 74
I think Russ already touched on this, but this panel of expert engineers must themselves be convinced that there is no way to prove the official explanation, right? Or else they could team up with a student and say, "hey kid, you present to this panel this proof that I create , and we'll split the cash 80/20." or something like that. I think this guy could serve his cause a little better if he could gather a large group of expert engineers that all say the official explanation is indeed unprovable. Then bring them to the press.
cronxeh
Dec21-04, 12:08 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,236
this is just a media hype for him. ignore the bastard
etc
Dec21-04, 12:24 PM
P: 27
lol, i enjoy how everyone is very dismissive.
because we all know, guys, that everything is how it's portrayed by the gov't.
russ_watters
Dec21-04, 01:50 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by etc
lol, i enjoy how everyone is very dismissive.
9/11 was first explained by scientists and engineers hired by media outlets - a year before the government released its report.
Burnsys
Dec21-04, 05:00 PM
P: 655
have anyone seen the Lone Gunmen episode that aired prior to September 11th by FOX in which an inside faction of the government posing as terrorists hijacks a 727 by remote control and targets the World Trade Center???

Transcript of the episode:
http://propagandamatrix.com/The_Lone...ot_Episode.htm
Video of the episode:
http://www.prisonplanet.com/video/lonegunmanpilot.wmv

Lone Gunmen/X-Files actor, Dean Haglund stated that after years of writing the X-files, the FBI and NASA would approach Chris Carter with plots for stories.

interview with Dean Haglund
http://www.prisonplanet.com/audio/181204haglundclip.mp3
Hurkyl
Dec21-04, 05:06 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,101
ol, i enjoy how everyone is very dismissive.
As I enjoy how you are very naive. Because we all know that nothing the government says can be the truth.
Burnsys
Dec21-04, 05:51 PM
P: 655
Quote Quote by Hurkyl
As I enjoy how you are very naive. Because we all know that nothing the government says can be the truth.
And what the mass media says?
etc
Dec21-04, 07:42 PM
no dudes, for real, the mass media's right and honourable too.
cronxeh
Dec21-04, 07:48 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,236
mass media is dumb and only wants what sells and raises ratings. would you like religious things included on our TV so you watch us? no problem! here you go, have some fries with that! please, would you like a white man as your anchor? no problem! hey, would you like to keep bill oreily on? no problem! anyway. i dont even want to get into the whole topic of how dumb and pathetic general public is.

Burnsys: hey, thanks! i completely forgot that i saw that Pilot episode. i just now realized the connection after almost 3.5 years! it does seem a bit 'coincidental' but i dont want to jump into any conclusions and urge you not to.
etc
Dec21-04, 09:38 PM
mass media is a dumb thing for dumb people, i agree, but i don't fully understand your reasoning. bill oreily (sp?) and religion? the more free speach the better, and i'm pretty sure that religion and media aren't suppose to be seperated.

meh, ignore me, i'm alone (so alone) and grumpy. :)
TheStatutoryApe
Dec21-04, 10:03 PM
P: 1,549
I did a quick google search and came up with this...
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/wtc/collapse.html
It's an interview with an engineer on the topic. He seems to know what he's talking about and it makes perfect sense to me even though I'm not educated really in engineering.
There are two popular points I have heard from the conspiracy theorists.
1) The building was supposed to be able to withstand a fire and could not have been disturbed to such a degree as to make it collapse from the fire. To which the engineer states...
That's what the designers of the World Trade Center were designing for -- a fire that starts in a wastepaper basket, for instance. By the time it gets to the far corner of the building, it has already burned up all the fuel that was back at the point of origin. So the beams where it started have already started to cool down and regain their strength before you start to weaken the ones on the other side.

On September 11th, the whole floor was damaged all at once, and that's really the cause of the World Trade Center collapse. There was so much fuel spread so quickly that the entire floor got weakened all at once, whereas in a normal fire, people should not think that if there's a fire in a high-rise building that the building will come crashing down. This was a very unusual situation, in which someone dumped 10,000 gallons of jet fuel in an instant.
2) The collapse of the building occured in the same fashion that one does when being demolished by explosives which have to be set up in a very specific fashion to make the building implode and not do collateral damage. To which the engineer states...
Have you ever seen the demolition of buildings? They blow them up, and they implode. Well, I once asked demolition experts, "How do you get it to implode and not fall outward?" They said, "Oh, it's really how you time and place the explosives." I always accepted that answer, until the World Trade Center, when I thought about it myself. And that's not the correct answer. The correct answer is, there's no other way for them to go but down. They're too big. With anything that massive -- each of the World Trade Center towers weighed half a million tons -- there's nothing that can exert a big enough force to push it sideways.
It would seem to me that it should be quiet easy for someone to claim that money. Just like Randi's money I doubt anyone will ever claim this money.

Register to reply