Register to reply

Instantaneous Velocity: drag racing problem

by chinnie15
Tags: drag, instantaneous, racing, velocity
Share this thread:
chinnie15
Feb4-12, 04:25 PM
P: 29
The figure shows a graph of actual position-versus-time data for a particular type of drag racer known as a "funny car."

Estimate the car's velocity at 2.0s

Equation:
v = m/s

I thought I knew how to solve this, and I made a tangent line at the curve and 2s, and when I do the slope at different points on the tangent I keep getting somewhere in the field of 50m/s. However, it keeps telling me I'm wrong. What should I be doing differently?

Thank you for your help!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
BruceW
Feb4-12, 07:19 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,440
your answer looks ok to me. what keeps telling you that its wrong?
chinnie15
Feb4-12, 08:25 PM
The program I have to use for class (Mastering Physics). It says express the answer with proper units and 2 significant figures, but whether I put in 50m/s or 50.0 m/s, it's still saying it's incorrect?

SammyS
Feb4-12, 11:17 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 7,786
Instantaneous Velocity: drag racing problem

Quote Quote by chinnie15 View Post
The program I have to use for class (Mastering Physics). It says express the answer with proper units and 2 significant figures, but whether I put in 50m/s or 50.0 m/s, it's still saying it's incorrect?
I get a somewhat steeper slope. ≈ 65 m/s

Have you tried entering scientific notation?
chinnie15
Feb5-12, 12:06 AM
Thanks!

67 m/s ended up being the correct answer. I redrew my tangent line, and took another slope and I ended up getting an answer extremely close to that, so my tangent line was just off before. Only problem is now, I have to do this again for t=4s. I have, once again, exhausted most of my attempts trying to get the correct answer. What am I doing wrong?? Here is my tangent line for t=4:

I am getting a slope around 80m/s. Is my tangent line really that off?

Thank you so much for your help!
SammyS
Feb5-12, 12:32 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Thanks!

67 m/s ended up being the correct answer. I redrew my tangent line, and took another slope and I ended up getting an answer extremely close to that, so my tangent line was just off before. Only problem is now, I have to do this again for t=4s. I have, once again, exhausted most of my attempts trying to get the correct answer. What am I doing wrong?? Here is my tangent line for t=4:

I am getting a slope around 80m/s. Is my tangent line really that off?

Thank you so much for your help!
That's at t = 4 seconds !
chinnie15
Feb5-12, 12:44 AM
I know that. :) This is for the second question, which is for the velocity at t = 4s. The first question was t = 2s. I got that answer for t = 2s correct now, it was 67 m/s. But now I can't get the correct answer for t = 4s.
SammyS
Feb5-12, 12:50 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
I know that. :) This is for the second question, which is for the velocity at t = 4s. The first question was t = 2s. I got that answer for t = 2s correct now, it was 67 m/s. But now I can't get the correct answer for t = 4s.
How do you figure that slope to be 80 ?

It's much more like ≈250/2 = 125

Register to reply