Register to reply

How to find the point a tangent line hits when given a point off of the graph.

by HHenderson90
Tags: calculus, y=x^2
Share this thread:
HHenderson90
Feb5-12, 02:39 PM
P: 9
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a) Draw a diagram to show that there are two tangent lines to the parabola y = x^2 that pass through the point (0, -4). (Do this on paper. Your teacher may ask you to turn in this work.)

(b) Find the coordinates of the points where these tangent lines intersect the parabola.
( , ) (point with smaller x value)
( , ) (point with larger x value)

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew the graph of y=x^2, I also drew the point (0,-4) and I drew estimated tangent lines. I just don't understand how I go about finding the point where both of these tangent lines hit, I can estimate it but I know it's not looking for that.

I first got the derivative at 0 but realized that that is not the way to go about answering this.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
Dick
Feb5-12, 02:45 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,243
Take (x,x^2) to be a point on your parabola. What's the slope of the tangent line there using the derivative? Now the line through (x,x^2) and (0,-4) has to have that same slope. How would you express that condition?
HHenderson90
Feb5-12, 02:52 PM
Okay, so the slope would be 2x at (x,x^2) correct? I don't really understand that point though and where it exists on the graph, also how it has the same slope as that of (0,-4).
So, now that I know the slope I can figure out where the line hits the graph right? I just don't really know how to do that either honestly.

Dick
Feb5-12, 03:16 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,243
How to find the point a tangent line hits when given a point off of the graph.

Quote Quote by HHenderson90 View Post
Okay, so the slope would be 2x at (x,x^2) correct? I don't really understand that point though and where it exists on the graph, also how it has the same slope as that of (0,-4).
So, now that I know the slope I can figure out where the line hits the graph right? I just don't really know how to do that either honestly.
What's the slope of the line through (x,x^2) and (0,-4)? It's change in y over change in x, right? That should equal 2x. Write that as an equation you can use to solve for x.
HHenderson90
Feb5-12, 09:05 PM
This helped a lot! I got the answer.

Register to reply