Register to reply

How to find the point a tangent line hits when given a point off of the graph.

by HHenderson90
Tags: calculus, y=x^2
Share this thread:
HHenderson90
Feb5-12, 02:39 PM
P: 9
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a) Draw a diagram to show that there are two tangent lines to the parabola y = x^2 that pass through the point (0, -4). (Do this on paper. Your teacher may ask you to turn in this work.)

(b) Find the coordinates of the points where these tangent lines intersect the parabola.
( , ) (point with smaller x value)
( , ) (point with larger x value)

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew the graph of y=x^2, I also drew the point (0,-4) and I drew estimated tangent lines. I just don't understand how I go about finding the point where both of these tangent lines hit, I can estimate it but I know it's not looking for that.

I first got the derivative at 0 but realized that that is not the way to go about answering this.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Apple to unveil 'iWatch' on September 9
NASA deep-space rocket, SLS, to launch in 2018
Study examines 13,000-year-old nanodiamonds from multiple locations across three continents
Dick
Feb5-12, 02:45 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,228
Take (x,x^2) to be a point on your parabola. What's the slope of the tangent line there using the derivative? Now the line through (x,x^2) and (0,-4) has to have that same slope. How would you express that condition?
HHenderson90
Feb5-12, 02:52 PM
Okay, so the slope would be 2x at (x,x^2) correct? I don't really understand that point though and where it exists on the graph, also how it has the same slope as that of (0,-4).
So, now that I know the slope I can figure out where the line hits the graph right? I just don't really know how to do that either honestly.

Dick
Feb5-12, 03:16 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,228
How to find the point a tangent line hits when given a point off of the graph.

Quote Quote by HHenderson90 View Post
Okay, so the slope would be 2x at (x,x^2) correct? I don't really understand that point though and where it exists on the graph, also how it has the same slope as that of (0,-4).
So, now that I know the slope I can figure out where the line hits the graph right? I just don't really know how to do that either honestly.
What's the slope of the line through (x,x^2) and (0,-4)? It's change in y over change in x, right? That should equal 2x. Write that as an equation you can use to solve for x.
HHenderson90
Feb5-12, 09:05 PM
This helped a lot! I got the answer.

Register to reply