To Blow, or Not To Blow?

by lisab
Tags: blow
rhody
Feb7-12, 09:00 AM
PF Gold
P: 765
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I have terrible allergies and wouldn't be able to leave the house if I couldn't sneeze or blow my nose in public. I always carry tissues and I always turn my head away from people, if it's just blowing my nose, I will attempt to go away from people first. But sometimes a sneeze often gives no more than a second's warning, barely time to turn my head. And yes I have hand sanitizer, and the grocery store gives out free sanitizing cloths to wipe clean the grocery cart handles, which I think is brilliant.
When my anti-viral was wearing off weeks ago, my immune system wents nuts and I found myself sneezing almost 50 times in a row, one sure way to stop it, grab your lower lip (I know this looks stupid, but it works, and not just with me) and squeeze and wiggle back and forth slightly. It stopped the onslaught but not forever. If you catch it before a sudden histamine buildup or right after your last vigorous sneeze it works best.

I have a clarifying question for you mucus officianiado's out there, is clear mucus safer than the stuff with eww... greenish chunks, and does the color indicate presense of active bacteria in it, and if so what are type of bacteria leaves this signature ? There, I just grossed myself out, I hope I didn't gross you out too, well, maybe not...

Rhody...
Monique
Feb7-12, 10:56 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,622
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
omg, I saw a homeless guy do this once from a second floor window. I never recovered.
Here cyclists do that regularly, especially the semi-profi ones that don't want to lose speed by fetching a tissue. One soon learns to keep appropriate distance, ugh, so gross.
DaveC426913
Feb7-12, 12:21 PM
P: 15,325
Quote Quote by rhody View Post
I have a clarifying question for you mucus officianiado's out there, is clear mucus safer than the stuff with eww... greenish chunks, and does the color indicate presense of active bacteria in it, and if so what are type of bacteria leaves this signature ? There, I just grossed myself out, I hope I didn't gross you out too, well, maybe not...

Rhody...
Yes. Yellow or green mucus is filled with dead bacteria and (I think) white corpuscles.

I can't remember the reason for the green in the bacteria, but I think there was a thread on it here a few years ago.

A similar thread, though it does not explicitly say what the colour is due to:
http://physicsforums.com/showthread....acteria&page=3
I recall hearing from someone that it has to do with the size of the bacteria and light scattering.
Moonbear
Feb7-12, 12:28 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,257
After all of the discussion in this thread, I have now concluded one should never blow your nose in public. I will stick with picking my nose from now on. And, since those elevator buttons are pretty germy, I'll remember if on an elevator to pick my nose before I push the button, otherwise I might transfer nasty bacteria from the button to my nose. Another successfully educational topic courtesy of PF.
SHISHKABOB
Feb7-12, 12:33 PM
P: 615
this thread makes me feel like a big jerk for using a public computer while I have a cold :(
drizzle
Feb7-12, 12:42 PM
PF Gold
P: 521
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
After all of the discussion in this thread, I have now concluded one should never blow your nose in public. I will stick with picking my nose from now on. And, since those elevator buttons are pretty germy, I'll remember if on an elevator to pick my nose before I push the button, otherwise I might transfer nasty bacteria from the button to my nose. Another successfully educational topic courtesy of PF.
I always use my index proximal interphalangeal joint to press whatever button in public places.
Jimmy Snyder
Feb7-12, 01:21 PM
P: 2,163
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
I will stick with picking my nose from now on.
Go to a plastic surgeon and pick your nose.
Danger
Feb7-12, 01:31 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,961
Quote Quote by ThomasT View Post
Yes, armpit hair traps germs. I don't think Romanian armpits are special that way. Maybe unshaven armpits trap more germs per unit of area than shaven ones. But, as long as one doesn't make a habit of putting one's face into other people's armpits, and considering clothing, and the type of bacteria that inhabit armpits, then the transmission of harmful bacteria from armpits isn't likely, imho.
It wasn't germs that were being trapped; it was men.
Ah, never mind. You kinda had to be there...
KingNothing
Feb7-12, 11:30 PM
P: 949
As people age, they are allowed to do more and more "inappropriate things". Once you hit about ~75 you can just fart/burp/blow your nose anywhere you want.
mege
Feb7-12, 11:58 PM
P: 193
Which is more distracting while in class/meeting/gathering - the occassional nose blow or the constant sniffling?

Personally, I'd rather hear the occassional nose blow.

I'm almost 30, American, and it's never dawned on me that blowing your nose in public was considered rude. Are there situations (resturants, etc) where doing it discretely is neccessary? Absolutely. But if I see some random person in a mall pull a (clean) tissue out of their pocket, blow into it, then toss it right away - it wouldn't phase me in the slightest.

During the dog days of summer, I keep a linen hankerchief (sp?) in my pocket to wipe sweat from my face (especially if I am not wearing a hat, I have to keep extra shirts around too). I wouldn't really ever dream of blowing my nose into it and placing it back in my pocket - but sweat? Is there really that much of a difference? :p
ThomasT
Feb8-12, 12:58 AM
P: 1,414
Quote Quote by mege View Post
Is there really that much of a difference?
Between sweat and mucous?
Ouabache
Feb8-12, 05:47 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,327
My part of the world is the USA. Age; young enough to have viewed the original airing of Star Trek. I do blow my nose in public as the need arises (typically shortly after sneezing). Venue really doesn't enter into it (ballgame, restaurant, theater). I use tissue or a handkerchief, whichever happens to be handy.
Having allergies, I take antihistimines regularly. So my nose is dry most of the time unless I happen to have a cold or exposed to a high load of airborne allergens. If I have the opportunity I will blow my nose in the shower or use warm water from a faucet which facilitates loosening mucous.

In this discussion of nasal mucous, I notice comments of gross and icky, suggesting
feelings of repulsion and disgust. This reminds me of a recent SciFri podcast with a
discussion on the psychology of disgust.

Why people find certain things disgusting? Is it cultural, Is it learned behavior?
In one country spitting or blowing your nostrils in the street is normal behavior,
yet other societies would find this repulsive or gross. Foot odour is considered disgusting, yet there are many who delight in aroma of Munster, Bel Paese and Limburger cheese. In my neck of the woods, farmers spread manure in open fields after mucking out the barns. Some folks would retch at this odour. I find it tolerable and a pleasant reminder of the upcoming gardening season.

(the rest of the podcast is a good listen. If you're interested, here is the main link to their science podcasts
http://www.sciencefriday.com/audio/scifriaudio.xml
netgypsy
Feb11-12, 05:53 PM
P: 239
If it's at all possible to avoid I never blow my nose in public. I'll "dab it" if I'm having a major allergy attack or the onset of headcold. My father would pull out his handkerchief, shake it out and "blow his bugle" as a doctor quite descriptively put it and it was embarrassing. Another family member would do the same but not nearly as loud or as frequently. But that family member like to scratch the inside of his ear with a car key. Luckily he didn't do it in public. My social "flaw" is my sneezes will topple tall buildings and having serious allergies I sometimes sneezed 100 times in the morning and late at night. A bit annoying to family members but I've never been able to stifle a sneeze.
lisab
Feb11-12, 06:17 PM
Mentor
P: 2,917
Quote Quote by netgypsy View Post
If it's at all possible to avoid I never blow my nose in public. I'll "dab it" if I'm having a major allergy attack or the onset of headcold. My father would pull out his handkerchief, shake it out and "blow his bugle" as a doctor quite descriptively put it and it was embarrassing. Another family member would do the same but not nearly as loud or as frequently. But that family member like to scratch the inside of his ear with a car key. Luckily he didn't do it in public. My social "flaw" is my sneezes will topple tall buildings and having serious allergies I sometimes sneezed 100 times in the morning and late at night. A bit annoying to family members but I've never been able to stifle a sneeze.
I can often stifle a sneeze but most folks can't, so I put sneezes in a different category than nose-blowing.

I guess there is too much of a cultural overlay to really decide if there is an age bias to public nose blowing.
netgypsy
Feb11-12, 06:24 PM
P: 239
I think it is age related because younger people, particularly guys, don't carry handkerchiefs any more. I had to go to about 5 stores to find handkerchiefs for a Christmas gift for a family member who just likes to have one so that his lady won't have to sit on a dirty bench for example. Some women seem to carry tissues but many of the younger women don't carry a bag. They just stuff some cash, credit card, driver's license in a pocket. So most will go to a restroom or blow in the car simply because there is nothing for them to blow on.

Really gross - blowing on a cloth napkin in a restaurant. I confess to having done this ever so gently when I had sneeze attack and couldn't get to a bathroom but I felt terrible about the bus staff having to remove the sodden napkin so I folded it up really small and stuffed it in a glass.
turbo
Feb11-12, 06:28 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
I carry tissues in my truck, and have some on my desk at home, so I can stuff a few into a pocket when I go out. If I have to blow my nose, I do so. I try to be discrete about it, but sometimes you just have to.
phoenix:\\
Feb12-12, 12:44 AM
P: 74
OK y'all, getcher minds out of the gutter!
I actually kept my mind in the gutter when reading the post just to pick up on the various innuendos, uh...

To Blow, or Not To Blow?

I made an observation
oh?

I wonder if this is a true generational difference.
So I want to know: Has anyone else noticed this?
and roughly how old are you?
For one, I think it's icky, and for two, since I'll need to wash my hands afterward anyway I figure it's best to go to the washroom.
I think it's especially unpleasant when people do it in restaurants
But, no, I don't do it...
lisab
Feb12-12, 02:18 PM
Mentor
P: 2,917
Quote Quote by phoenix:\\ View Post
I actually kept my mind in the gutter when reading the post just to pick up on the various innuendos, uh...

To Blow, or Not To Blow?

But, no, I don't do it...

Register to reply