Mathematics for electronics engineer

by write2rammy
Tags: approximation, modeling, taylor expansion
write2rammy
Feb7-12, 09:52 AM
P: 2
Hello all,
I am currently working on modelling organic FETs. I would like to know if there exists any book that can help me in modelling i.e. I have a curve and I need a method or approach as to how this can be represented using an eqn. Also I need some literature recommendation for approximations (Taylor's expansion etc. ) to dilute complex eqns to simpler ones.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
Stephen Tashi
Feb7-12, 11:26 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,172
Quote Quote by write2rammy View Post
how this can be represented using an eqn..
You aren't making it clear what "this" refers to. You say that you doing modelling. A model for a physical situation can be a complicated representation that contains many equations and algorithms. Or it could be one equation fit to some empirical data.

Exactly what sort of model are you dealing with? In the math section, there might be a shortage of experts on Field Effect Transistors, so don't assume your readers know about them. As to "organic" FETs, I don't know what those are.
write2rammy
Feb7-12, 03:14 PM
P: 2
Hello Tashi,
Thank you for your reply. My task is to develop a empirical model that is simple and closely mimics the current (Ids) behaviour of the transistor. Organic field effect transistors (FET) are a kind of MOSFET but with an organic semiconductor. The current output when plotted looks like that of a silicon MOSFET but with more non-linearities. My task is to use the same model eqns of a silicon MOSFET and supplement with appropriate equations to model the non-linearitites present in organic FET. I have read something similar in few semiconductor modeling books, where the author uses a funtion [sqrt(Vds + Const) - sqrt(Vds)] to model the short channel effect (a kind of non-linearity) in the case of silicon MOSFET. I can visualize when the function is a simple sqrt, square, exp etc. But it gets hard, when there is superposition of 2 or more functions.
Moreover, we have come across hundreds of mathematical functions. But only a handful of this is required to model the real world systems emphirically. Is there any book that explains in detail the mathematical (emphirical) modeling of real world systems in a systematic way.

Register to reply