Register to reply

Magnetic field

Share this thread:
linklink
Feb7-12, 10:49 AM
P: 11
There are two hemispheric magnets, both of them have S on the outer surface and N on the inner surface. If I put them together to form a hollow ball, assuming they are so close that no empty space in the interface, what happens to the magnetic field (inside and outside)?

Since magnetic field lines must start from N and end at S, what I think is that the field line will not "come out" from the inner surface any more as it cannot connect to the outer surface of the magnet. So this ball is not longer a magnet, is it right?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists unlock nature of high-temperature superconductivity
Serial time-encoded amplified microscopy for ultrafast imaging based on multi-wavelength laser
Measuring the smallest magnets: Physicists measured magnetic interactions between single electrons
clem
Feb7-12, 03:30 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,256
That arrangement will have a complicated magnetic field. While no net field leaves the ball, there will be field lines leaving at some points and entering at others.
Skaperen
Feb7-12, 08:42 PM
P: 78
There will also be "magnetic pressure" trying to push the hollow ball apart (as would be felt while trying to push the two halves together). So it will still be a magnet. I'd love to be able to try this.

linklink
Feb7-12, 10:34 PM
P: 11
Magnetic field

Quote Quote by clem View Post
there will be field lines leaving at some points and entering at others.
Do you mean the field lines leaving at the inner surface can pass through the ball somehow and enter at some points at the outer surface?
clem
Feb8-12, 10:48 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,256
Yes.

Register to reply