Register to reply

Volumetric flow rate - Help needed

by ryancalif
Tags: flow, rate, volumetric
Share this thread:
ryancalif
Feb10-12, 10:02 AM
P: 4
I posted this in the DE forum as well since it is related.
---------------------

Hi all,

I've got a fairly straight forward problem to solve here regarding flow rate out of a tank with uniform cross-sectional area. I am treating this is a volumetric flow problem since there is assumed to be volume flow out of the tank, and volume flow into the tank.

I have two Qout terms (one out of a hole in the bottom of the tank, and one from fluid consumed by an engine), as well as one Qin term (via a pump feeding fluid into the tank at a constant rate).

Qouthole (Qh) = a*C*sqrt(2*g*z)
Qoutengine (Qe) = constant
Qin (Qi) = constant

NOTE: a = exit hole area
C = energy loss coefficient
g = gravity
z = head height in tank

My DE looks like:

-A*(dh/dt) = Qh - Qi + Qe

Separating the terms and solving for time by integrating h from Hi to Hf and t from 0 to T, I get this...

((a*C)/A)*sqrt(2*g)*(2/3)*((Hf^(3/2))-(Hi^(3/2))) = (1/A)q*t

I combined the Qi and Qe terms early on since they are constants (easier to integrate), therefore, q in the above equation equals Qi-Qf.

The problem is, solving for t eliminates the tank cross-sectional area (A) since it is divided out.

I feel confident with my general equation, but may have made a mistake somewhere in solving for t. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles

Register to reply