Projectile Motion - find initial velocity, flight time and max height

In summary, the problem involves a golf ball being shot at a 45° angle from a height of 6.5 ft and landing 39 ft and 3 inches away. Using the formula for range, the initial velocity is calculated to be 10.82 m/s. To find the flight time, the problem is split into two parts and the time it takes to reach the horizontal is 23.9 seconds. However, the time it takes to drop the remaining distance is unclear. The maximum height is calculated to be 4.96 m using the formula for maximum height.
kgal

Homework Statement

a golf ball is shot from a height of 6.5 ft above the ground at an angle of 45° above the horizontal. The ball lands 39 ft and 3 inches downfield. Assuming ideal projectile motion find:
a. Initial velocity
b. flight time
c. maximum height

Homework Equations

r = [(v0*cosθ)t ]i + ((v0*sinθ)t - 1/5gt^2)j.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached my work (problem 5) but can't seem to know if it correct. I have converted all of my units to metric because gravity is know as 9.8 m/s^2.

Physics news on Phys.org
kgal,
From what I can gather, you don't have enough information given to you to solve for velocity, time of flight and maximum height directly. Try drawing what you see. The best method I use to solve projectile motion problems is to split the problem up into two parts - the object rising, & then falling.

Also, I can't see your work.

I used the definition of range to solve for initial velocity:
a.R = (v0cosθ)*[(2v0sinθ)/g]
solved for v0 = sqrt (Rg / 2cosθsinθ) = 10.82 m/s.

b. I split the problem into two pieces, the time it takes the ball to reach the horizontal
t1 = 2v0sinθ / g = 23.9 s
Then got stuck on finding out the time it took the ball to drop the remaining 1.98 m...
I tried finding t2 by using r = (v0cos45)t + (v0sin45t - 1/2 gt^2) and solve for t, but got to the point where t was a quadratic equation with 2 answers, t = 3.1 or 0.13 seconds...

c. y max = y0 + (v0sinθ) ^2 / 2g = 4.96 m

1. How do you calculate the initial velocity of a projectile?

To calculate the initial velocity of a projectile, you need to know the distance traveled (x), the time it takes to travel that distance (t), and the acceleration due to gravity (g). The formula for initial velocity is v = x/t + gt, where v is the initial velocity.

2. What is the flight time of a projectile?

The flight time of a projectile is the total time it takes for the projectile to travel from its initial position to its final position. It can be calculated by using the formula t = 2v/g, where t is the flight time, v is the initial velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How do you find the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile can be found by using the formula h = (v^2*sin^2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes that the projectile is launched at an angle θ to the horizontal.

4. Can you calculate the initial velocity of a projectile if you only know the maximum height and flight time?

Yes, the initial velocity of a projectile can be calculated if you know the maximum height and flight time. You can use the formula v = (2gh/t)^0.5, where v is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the maximum height, and t is the flight time.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the projectile and changing its trajectory. This is because air resistance acts against the motion of the projectile, causing it to lose energy and decrease its speed. As a result, the projectile may not travel as far or reach the expected maximum height as calculated without taking air resistance into account.