Register to reply

Projectile Motion - find initial velocity, flight time and max height

Share this thread:
kgal
Feb12-12, 05:36 PM
P: 43
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
a golf ball is shot from a height of 6.5 ft above the ground at an angle of 45 above the horizontal. The ball lands 39 ft and 3 inches downfield. Assuming ideal projectile motion find:
a. Initial velocity
b. flight time
c. maximum height

2. Relevant equations
r = [(v0*cosθ)t ]i + ((v0*sinθ)t - 1/5gt^2)j.

3. The attempt at a solution
I have attached my work (problem 5) but can't seem to know if it correct. I have converted all of my units to metric because gravity is know as 9.8 m/s^2.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
TaxOnFear
Feb12-12, 06:58 PM
P: 92
kgal,
From what I can gather, you don't have enough information given to you to solve for velocity, time of flight and maximum height directly. Try drawing what you see. The best method I use to solve projectile motion problems is to split the problem up into two parts - the object rising, & then falling.

Also, I can't see your work.
kgal
Feb12-12, 07:11 PM
P: 43
I used the definition of range to solve for initial velocity:
a.R = (v0cosθ)*[(2v0sinθ)/g]
solved for v0 = sqrt (Rg / 2cosθsinθ) = 10.82 m/s.

b. I split the problem into two pieces, the time it takes the ball to reach the horizontal
t1 = 2v0sinθ / g = 23.9 s
Then got stuck on finding out the time it took the ball to drop the remaining 1.98 m...
I tried finding t2 by using r = (v0cos45)t + (v0sin45t - 1/2 gt^2) and solve for t, but got to the point where t was a quadratic equation with 2 answers, t = 3.1 or 0.13 seconds...

c. y max = y0 + (v0sinθ) ^2 / 2g = 4.96 m

Register to reply