Register to reply

What is the relationship between the equation E^2 - p^2c^2 = m^2c^4

by meowchow
Tags: equation, m2c4, p2c2, relationship
Share this thread:
meowchow
Feb13-12, 11:04 PM
P: 3
What is the relationship between the equation E^2 - p^2c^2 = m^2c^4 and E = mc^2?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
salvestrom
Feb13-12, 11:15 PM
P: 226
Quote Quote by meowchow View Post
What is the relationship between the equation E^2 - p^2c^2 = m^2c^4 and E = mc^2?
p^2c^2 is the momentum component. An object at rest has 0 momentum, reducing the above to E^2=m^2c^4. Taking the square root of both sides leaves you with the more familiar equation, describing the relationship between rest mass and energy.
meowchow
Feb13-12, 11:25 PM
I understand that thank you but I was wondering how you derived that formula using definitions like e=mc^2γ and p^t=mcγ and p^x=mvγ...this is on our physics midterm tomorrow and my friends and I don't understand how to use these definitions to derive the equation

elfmotat
Feb13-12, 11:35 PM
P: 260
What is the relationship between the equation E^2 - p^2c^2 = m^2c^4

Quote Quote by meowchow View Post
I understand that thank you but I was wondering how you derived that formula using definitions like e=mc^2γ and p^t=mcγ and p^x=mvγ...this is on our physics midterm tomorrow and my friends and I don't understand how to use these definitions to derive the equation
Square the energy equation:

E2=m2c4/(1-v2/c2)

Simplify:

E2-E2v2/c2=m2c4

Replace (Ev)2 with (pc2)2:

E2-p2c2=m2c4

To get the equation Ev=pc2:

E=γmc2
p=γmv

Eliminate γ & m:

Ev=pc^2

**This seems like unnecessary algebra. I don't see why you'd have to derive the above equations from other energy/momentum equations. You should also learn about four-vectors, because the first equation actually comes from the magnitude of the four-momentum.
meowchow
Feb13-12, 11:44 PM
Ohh thank you so much!!! ^____^

Register to reply