Questions for all of you HVAC massters,

• Thread starter vlajky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hvac
In summary: Even with the same diameter, velocity, and volume flow, there will still be some static pressure drop due to these resistances. This is because the energy of the fluid is being converted into other forms, such as heat or noise, and this results in a decrease in pressure.
vlajky
Questions for all of you HVAC massters, please help:)

Hi,
I would like to know couple of things ?:)

1. With U shaped manometer attached to the surface of the pipe we are measuring static pressure drop? Pressure exerted by the water on the surface of that pipe? Am i right ?
2. Is that pressure field uniform for some observed cross sectional area of the pipe ? I know that pressure is the function of length. But for some cross section is it distributed equally ( radial ( circular) , in all directions ) among the pipe wall ?
3. in central heating closed circuit installation, what gives the pressure of 6bar in pipes if it is not the centrifugal pump? If it is, how is kinetic energy of the flow transferred in the pressure energy.
Somewhere i read that "common misconception about pumps is the thought that
they create pressure. Pumps alone do not create pressure;
they only displace fluid, causing a flow. Adding resistance
to flow causes pressure " ?
4. I' confused about that, how adding resistance to flow causes pressure, it would be more natural that is cousins pressure to drop ( head loss ).. but than, what generates pressure ?

and for the final and most important for my understanding

5. I know that we have head loss in pipes due to a friction and local resistances like bends, valves, change of pipes diameter ..etc. We all know how to calculate them using Darcy - Weisbach formula. I also know from Brenuli equation that with larger diameter i have less friction losses, lower velocity and gather static pressure and vice verse.

But how is than possible that for same diameter of the pipe , same average velocity, same volume flow ...i still have static pressure drop . I understand the reasons ( listed above) I understand the math...but i don't understand physics of that phenomena ?
Can somebody enplane me in plane English what is relay going on in there. .. Just some simple Cause and affect story line.

Thank you!:)

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Yes, the U-shaped manometer is measuring the static pressure drop across a pipe. This is the pressure exerted by the water on the surface of the pipe. 2. Generally, the pressure field throughout a pipe is uniform as long as there are no obstructions or changes in the pipe diameter. 3. The centrifugal pump is what generates the pressure in a closed-circuit installation. As the pump rotates, it displaces a certain amount of the fluid, causing a flow. This flow then exerts pressure against the walls of the pipe, which increases with the resistance of the pipe. 4. Adding resistance to a flow causes an increase in pressure because the pressure is a measure of the force exerted on the walls of the pipe. When resistance is added, the force exerted on the walls of the pipe increases, thus causing an increase in pressure. 5. The static pressure drop across a pipe occurs because of friction losses and other local resistances such as bends, valves and changes in the pipe diameter. As the fluid flows through the pipe, it encounters these resistances and loses some of its energy as a result. This energy loss is reflected in the form of a decrease in pressure.

1. What is HVAC?

HVAC stands for heating, ventilation, and air conditioning. It is a system used to control the temperature, humidity, and air quality in buildings and vehicles.

2. How does HVAC work?

HVAC systems work by using a combination of heating, cooling, and ventilation units to regulate air temperature and quality. The system pulls in air from the outside, filters and conditions it, and then circulates it throughout the building.

3. What are the different types of HVAC systems?

The main types of HVAC systems are split systems, hybrid systems, and packaged systems. Split systems have separate units for heating and cooling, while hybrid systems use both electricity and gas for heating. Packaged systems have all components in one unit and are typically used for smaller spaces.

4. How often should HVAC systems be serviced?

HVAC systems should be serviced at least once a year to maintain efficiency and prevent breakdowns. It is recommended to have them serviced before the start of each heating and cooling season.

5. Are there any energy-efficient options for HVAC systems?

Yes, there are many energy-efficient options for HVAC systems, such as high-efficiency units, programmable thermostats, and zoning systems. These options can help reduce energy consumption and lower utility bills.