Register to reply

What exactly determines the energy of a wave? the intensity? or the frequency?

by mutineer123
Tags: amplitude, energy, frequency, intensity waves, wave
Share this thread:
mutineer123
Feb20-12, 08:47 PM
P: 93
I am taking AS level Physics rite now, and wanted to know what exactly determines the energy of a wave. Well since I have recently learn of stationary waves(sound waves) being standing. I know that they are formed by the superimposition of the reflected waves on the incident waves. This causes the amplitude to cancel out, and become zero. So intuitively I guess the frequency decides a waves energy, because if intensity did, then in a stationary wave, the amplitudes canceling out would make the intensity nil as well(I=κA6^2), so this will make the sound stop, which it clearly does not.
So is this reasoning right?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
glenn21
Feb20-12, 09:10 PM
P: 19
It depends on the context actually. In terms of mechanical waves, for example a water wave ripple in a pond, more energy is carried by the wave for high amplitudes. Photons are another type of wave, but they carry energy in their frequency. A sound wave is a mechanical wave, and so the amplitude determines the energy of the wave.

Register to reply