Register to reply

Why Capacitors Store Half The Charge They Are Given

by Dark Red Rose
Tags: capacitor, capacitor charge
Share this thread:
Dark Red Rose
Feb22-12, 09:06 AM
P: 1
I have been studying capacitors this week and learned two equations. One is Q=CV and the other is Q=0.5CV. The latter equation is derived from C-V graph. From this it shows that half the charge delivered is stored. I am very curious to know where the other half of the charge go and why is the charge stored exactly half of the charge supplied? How is the half of the charge which is not stored used?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
SammyS
Feb22-12, 09:39 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 7,819
Quote Quote by Dark Red Rose View Post
I have been studying capacitors this week and learned two equations. One is Q=CV and the other is Q=0.5CV. The latter equation is derived from C-V graph. From this it shows that half the charge delivered is stored. I am very curious to know where the other half of the charge go and why is the charge stored exactly half of the charge supplied? How is the half of the charge which is not stored used?
The charge stored in a capacitor of capacitance, C, with a potential difference, V, across its plates is Q = CV .

The energy stored in such a capacitor is (1/2)CV2. That doesn't mean that the charge is (1/2)CV.
BruceW
Feb22-12, 10:26 AM
HW Helper
P: 3,448
Quote Quote by Dark Red Rose View Post
From this it shows that half the charge delivered is stored. I am very curious to know where the other half of the charge go and why is the charge stored exactly half of the charge supplied? How is the half of the charge which is not stored used?
Replace the word 'charge' in this paragraph with the word 'energy' and you will then have a good question. As Sammy was implying, all of the charge delivered is stored.

P.S. you have an awesome name. and welcome to physics forums!

technician
Feb22-12, 01:06 PM
P: 1,506
Why Capacitors Store Half The Charge They Are Given

You have your terms mixed up
C = Q/V or Q = C x V or V = Q/C....these give the relationships between Q, C and V.
The graph I think you are talking about is Q against V (not C ~ V)
This graph enables you to calculate the ENERGY stored on the capacitor, the ENERGY equations are
E 0.5QV...or 0.5CV^2 or 0.5Q^2/C

Register to reply