Writing Mathematical Formula in MS Word

In summary: I use LyX all the time when I have to type equations into documents. It's very user-friendly and the typesetting is very professional.
ZedCar

Homework Statement

I'm writing up a mathematics-based assignment and I want to type some formula into a MS Word document.

I'd appreciate if anyone could let me know how to go about this.

Thank you.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
If this is a one time thing you can get by with the built-in Equation editor (Insert-Object-Microsoft Equation 3.0). I remember seeing something about an add-in equation editor (can't remember the name) that might or might not be any better than the one that comes with MS Word. If this is the first of many, I'd invest time to install and learn LaTex.

Attachments

• MicrosoftEquation.jpg
    MicrosoftEquation.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:
hotvette said:
If this is a one time thing you can get by with the built-in Equation editor (Insert-Object-Microsoft Equation 3.0). I remember seeing something about an add-in equation editor (can't remember the name) that might or might not be any better than the one that comes with MS Word. If this is the first of many, I'd invest time to install and learn LaTex.

Personally, I use LaTeX all the time, but if I were starting out I would go with LyX (freely downloadable). Composing in LyX is like composing in WORD, in that you see right away on the screen the actual symbols entered; these need not be memorized, but can be inserted by clicking on entries in pallettes. Inserting graphics is easy as well. The final document is typeset using LaTeX, so you do end up having all the LaTeX power available. I think it acts much like a free version of Scientific Word.

RGV

That's great, thanks very much guys. Much appreciated!

hotvette said:
If this is a one time thing you can get by with the built-in Equation editor (Insert-Object-Microsoft Equation 3.0).

I've located the "Insert" tab and then "Object".

The college PCs I'm using don't appear to have the Equation editor shown in your screen dump.

Possibly that eqn editor isn't just part & parcel of Word. Perhaps its an add-on. I'll have a look at some other PCs.

PS I've just located it. For some reason, tha title of that particular program is in French in "Word" on this PC, which is why I didn't immediately locate it.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
Personally, I use LaTeX all the time, but if I were starting out I would go with LyX (freely downloadable). Composing in LyX is like composing in WORD, in that you see right away on the screen the actual symbols entered; these need not be memorized, but can be inserted by clicking on entries in pallettes. Inserting graphics is easy as well. The final document is typeset using LaTeX, so you do end up having all the LaTeX power available. I think it acts much like a free version of Scientific Word.

RGV

Yeah Latex is like heaven when dealing with mathematical equation.

1. How do I write mathematical formulas in MS Word?

To write mathematical formulas in MS Word, you can use the built-in equation editor. This can be accessed by clicking on the "Insert" tab and then selecting "Equation" from the symbols section. You can then use the various functions and symbols to create your formula.

2. Can I customize the appearance of my mathematical formulas in MS Word?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of your mathematical formulas in MS Word. The equation editor allows you to change the font, size, and color of your formulas. You can also adjust the spacing and alignment to make your formulas look exactly how you want them.

3. How do I insert special symbols and operators in my mathematical formulas?

To insert special symbols and operators in your mathematical formulas, you can use the "Symbols" tab in the equation editor. This will give you access to a wide range of symbols and operators, including Greek letters, mathematical symbols, and arrows.

4. Can I add equations to my MS Word document without using the equation editor?

Yes, you can add equations to your MS Word document without using the equation editor. You can use the "Insert" tab and select "Object" from the symbols section. This will allow you to insert equations created in other programs, such as LaTeX or MathType.

5. Is it possible to convert handwritten equations to digital form in MS Word?

Yes, it is possible to convert handwritten equations to digital form in MS Word. You can use a handwriting recognition software or app to convert your handwritten equations to digital text, and then copy and paste them into the equation editor in MS Word. Alternatively, some pen-enabled devices allow you to write directly into the equation editor in MS Word.