The taste of hot water vs. cold water

In summary, In my chemistry class today we learned about equilibrium and how temperature affects the equilibrium constant. An example that was cited was this chemical equation: H2O <--> H3O+ + OH-. I learned that increasing the heat of the water will drive the equilibrium toward the right side, increasing the concentration of hydronium and hydroxide ions. I also raised my hand in class and asked "is that why hot water tastes bad? you know, because of all the hydronium, perhaps it reacts with the ions in our mouths or something and creates a bad taste in our mouth? maybe?" I figure it can't be JUST because it's hot. Even water that you've left in your hot car all
Vpoyid
In my chemistry class today we learned about equilibrium and how temperature affects the equilibrium constant. An example that was cited was this chemical equation:

H2O <--> H3O+ + OH-

I learned that increasing the heat of the water will drive the equilibrium toward the right side, increasing the concentration of hydronium and hydroxide ions.

I raised my hand in class and asked "is that why hot water tastes bad? you know, because of all the hydronium, perhaps it reacts with the ions in our mouths or something and creates a bad taste in our mouth? maybe?"

I figure it can't be JUST because it's hot. Even water that you've left in your hot car all day tastes like ****, even if you can tolerate the temperature. It's just awful tasting. I know that the ratio of hydronium to hydroxide would remain constant and wouldn't necessarily change the pH of the solution, but its more complicated because of equilibrium yada yada yada, right?

My teacher did not have an answer.

So... yes? no? maybe?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Coitus said:
In my chemistry class today we learned about equilibrium and how temperature affects the equilibrium constant. An example that was cited was this chemical equation:

H2O <--> H3O+ + OH-

I learned that increasing the heat of the water will drive the equilibrium toward the right side, increasing the concentration of hydronium and hydroxide ions.

I raised my hand in class and asked "is that why hot water tastes bad? you know, because of all the hydronium, perhaps it reacts with the ions in our mouths or something and creates a bad taste in our mouth? maybe?"

I figure it can't be JUST because it's hot. Even water that you've left in your hot car all day tastes like ****, even if you can tolerate the temperature. It's just awful tasting. I know that the ratio of hydronium to hydroxide would remain constant and wouldn't necessarily change the pH of the solution, but its more complicated because of equilibrium yada yada yada, right?

My teacher did not have an answer.

So... yes? no? maybe?
hello coitus,
This may be not the good answer but i will try to explain your question with what i think a logical answer. Water we drinks is not 100% pure H20; It contains dissolved gases and organic matters. When we are heating the water the dissolved gases escapes and organic matters denatures.This may be the reason why taste of water changes when heating

To add to what newbe wrote, pH of the water we drink is never exactly 7, because of the dissolved salts (mostly carbonates) present.

Agreed on the dissolved gasses...

FWIW, 'utility-supplied' water may have dissolved chlorine, too. I find our tap water is barely drinkable unless I slosh in 5~~10% of 'sparkling water' to flush the chlorine, replenish the CO2 and lower the pH a bit...

Uh, there was a superb short story by, IIRC, A C Clarke, about Lunar base astronauts who found their water supply gradually tasted too 'wrong' to drink. They could only stomach the recycler's limited output, eventually expired of heat exhaustion and thirst. Flavour turned out to be a surfeit of dissolved oxygen which they could have removed in minutes using an improvised 'boiling stone' and the vacuum outside the base...

Last edited:
Nik_2213 said:
Uh, there was a superb short story by, IIRC, A C Clarke, about Lunar base astronauts who found their water supply gradually tasted too 'wrong' to drink. They could only stomach the recycler's limited output, eventually expired of heat exhaustion and thirst. Flavour turned out to be a surfeit of dissolved oxygen which they could have removed in minutes using an improvised 'boiling stone' and the vacuum outside the base...

Now, THAT's what I call a magnificent story... Thanks for sharing :)

1. What causes the difference in taste between hot and cold water?

The temperature of water can influence its taste in a few ways. Higher temperatures can release more dissolved gases and minerals, giving the water a slightly different taste. Additionally, hot water can alter the perception of taste by stimulating the taste receptors on the tongue.

2. Does the temperature of water affect its health benefits?

Yes, the temperature of water can impact its health benefits. For example, drinking cold water can help boost metabolism and aid in weight loss, while hot water can soothe the digestive system and help with hydration. However, the overall health benefits of water do not change based on its temperature.

3. Why does hot water sometimes taste "flat" or "stale"?

Hot water can taste flat or stale because it has a lower oxygen content compared to cold water. This is because hot water has a higher solubility for gases, causing it to absorb more air and lose some of its freshness. Additionally, hot water may sit in pipes longer than cold water, which can lead to a stale taste.

4. Is there a recommended temperature for drinking water?

There is no specific recommended temperature for drinking water, as it is a matter of personal preference. However, experts generally recommend drinking water at room temperature or slightly above (around 72°F/22°C) for optimal hydration and digestion.

5. Does the temperature of water affect its purity?

The temperature of water does not directly affect its purity. However, hot water can dissolve substances more easily than cold water, so it may pick up impurities from the pipes or container it is stored in. To ensure pure drinking water, it is important to regularly clean and maintain water storage containers and pipes.