Research vs Tech Startup vs Google Intern

In summary, the speaker has been interviewing for summer internships and has received an offer from SLAC for DOEs SULI program. However, they are unsure about pursuing a graduate degree and have considered working at a tech startup or Google instead. They are also interviewing with several startups and are hoping to do both a startup and SLAC in Palo Alto or Menlo Park. The speaker is seeking advice on career options and experiences with transitioning between fields. They are also questioning the importance of an advanced degree in industry.
laxatives
So I've been in the processing of interviewing with a bunch of different places for summer internships, but it seems like this whole process is about to get wrapped up in the next few days. The catalyst: I got an offer from SLAC for DOEs SULI program. Needless to say, I'm very excited. However, I'm not sure how I feel about continuing with research/physics in general. In fact, just a few months ago, I posted a long whiny rant on PF about how garbagety I'm doing what I'm going to end up doing.

Things turned up pretty quickly I guess. However I'm still not sure whether I can pursue a graduate degree; I'm held back by a very low gpa (lets say around 3.00) and a good amount of apathy. I think I might like to go to a tech startup/google for the summer and give that a whirl before I make a decision like grad school/industry next year.

I'm in the process of getting placed at Google. I would love to work on computer vision at Santa Monica and was hoping I could leverage this offer at Stanford to make me somehow more competitive. However I think that plan might have backfired, since I haven't heard back in several days and my offer/decline deadline is coming up in about a week. I'm also interviewing with several startups and have (hopefully) the final round of interviews over the next few days. My dream would be to do both a startup and SLAC in Palo Alto/Menlo Park, but the one startup I mentioned the idea to wasn't enthusaistic.

All that being said, I've always felt it would be much easier moving from academia/research into industry than the other way around and part of me feels like I should ride out this physics thing for as long as I can. So I'm basically looking for some input on what I should consider and your experiences with mobility between different fields. Is an advanced degree critical once you're older and have climbed ladders? Other thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
An advanced technical degree is not critical in industry once you've climbed up the ladder..by that time you'll mostly be doing managerial stuff anyway

If you got apathy towards physics or whatever, then go in the other direction. Schools ain't going nowhere.

1. What is the main difference between research, tech startup, and Google intern?

The main difference between these three options is their focus and purpose. Research involves conducting experiments and gathering data to expand knowledge in a specific field. Tech startups are new businesses that aim to innovate and disrupt existing industries through technology. A Google intern is a temporary position where individuals gain hands-on experience working at Google in various departments.

2. Which option would provide the most job stability?

In terms of job stability, Google intern may not offer long-term job security as it is a temporary position. Research positions, on the other hand, are often funded by government agencies or universities and can provide more job stability. The stability of a tech startup will depend on its success and financial stability.

3. Which option would offer the most room for growth and advancement?

All three options offer opportunities for growth and advancement. Research positions can lead to becoming a principal investigator or a tenure-track professor. At a tech startup, individuals can advance to higher positions as the company grows. At Google, interns may have the opportunity to secure a full-time position after their internship or apply for other positions within the company.

4. Which option is the most competitive to get into?

All three options can be competitive to get into, but it ultimately depends on the specific field and company/program. Research positions may require a higher level of education and experience, while tech startups may look for individuals with a strong entrepreneurial mindset and technical skills. Google internships are highly competitive, with thousands of applicants every year for a limited number of positions.

5. Which option would be the most financially rewarding?

The financial rewards for each option can vary greatly. Research positions may offer stable, but relatively lower salaries, while tech startups can have high-risk, high-reward potential. Google internships are paid and offer competitive compensation, but may not be as financially rewarding as a successful tech startup. Ultimately, the financial reward will depend on individual success and growth within each option.