Register to reply

How to protect poor solder joints

by jehan60188
Tags: joints, poor, protect, solder
Share this thread:
Carl Pugh
Mar5-12, 11:23 AM
P: 384
jehan has never mentioned PCB or what material he is trying to solder, or what solder or flux he is using, how clean what he is trying to solder is.......
Shouldn't we get more details from jehan before recommending what he should do?
vk6kro
Mar5-12, 06:53 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 4,032
Quote Quote by Carl Pugh View Post
jehan has never mentioned PCB or what material he is trying to solder, or what solder or flux he is using, how clean what he is trying to solder is.......
Shouldn't we get more details from jehan before recommending what he should do?
See the picture link in the first post.
Carl Pugh
Mar6-12, 01:59 PM
Missed the picture. Will be more careful in the future.

jehan, I have some very small and small film insulated wire. If you live in the USA, send your address and I will mail you a few feet of the wires.
Carl Pugh
Mar6-12, 02:19 PM
One other quick question.
If there was solder mask or conformal coating on PCB, did you clean it off and tin the trace?
jehan60188
Mar9-12, 08:40 PM
P: 204
update for those that care-

I used a set of helping hands ($5), and my current soldering iron. I attached stiff but thin wire, and it looks pretty solid.
except now i have a new problem! I can't move the wires without breaking the joint. I'm thinking of clipping the short, and attaching more flexible wire.
but i'm open to suggestion

thanks for all the help everyone- from how it feels, I am definitely not just going to use epoxy, i can forsee the joint breaking, and the contact point being stuck under epoxy forever!

Register to reply