Find Maximum Likelihood Estimator of Gamma Distribution

Share this thread:
Ceci020
Feb25-12, 06:45 PM
P: 11
Given
f(x; β) = [ 1/( β^2) ] * x * e^(-x/ β) for 0 < x < infinity
EX = 2β and VarX = 2(β^2)
Questions: Find the Maximum likelihood estimator of β (I call it β''), then find Bias and variance of this β''

1/ First, I believe this is a gamma distribution with alpha = 2. Is that right?

2/ Find Maximum likelihood estimator of β
- First, I get the likelihood function L(β) = product of all the f(xi; β)
- After doing all arithmetic, I get
L(β) = β^(-2n) * (x1 * x2 * … *xn) * e^ [(-1/ β) * (x1 + x2 +…+xn)]
- Then I take the log function of L(β), I call it l(β), find derivative of this l(β), equate the derivative to 0 and solve. I get the MLE is (1/n * (x1 + x2+ … + xn)) / 2 = (sample mean )/2.

Am I correct till this point?

3/ If the given said EX = 2 β, can I assume that X must be 2 β, and thus for the population, β is X / 2 ??

4/ I think this MLE is not bias, but I get confused when I try to find the Variance of the MLE. For β'', I believe that I should find E(β’' ^ 2) – [ E(β’') ] ^2. But from here, my question is that should I use the fact that β’' is (sample mean) / 2, then just plug in and solve ? Or should I do integration?

Because I think since this distribution is continuous, isn’t it that E(anything) is integration of that “anything” with f(x)dx ??

Please help me, thanks in advance
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice

Register to reply