Register to reply

Rotational quantum number J

by Chemist20
Tags: number, quantum, rotational
Share this thread:
Chemist20
Feb26-12, 05:30 AM
P: 87
Is it the same as the total angular momentum quantum number ?????
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New approach to form non-equilibrium structures
Nike krypton laser achieves spot in Guinness World Records
Unleashing the power of quantum dot triplets
ZealScience
Feb26-12, 07:34 AM
P: 346
What do you mean? Usually, in QM, J is used to describe the total angular momentum operator and the corresponding eigenvalue, same as orbital angular momentum L

The quantum number, however, does not equal to the value of total angular momentum. Orbital angular momentum number l, for example, usually represents (I can't remember the exact notation) total of l(l+1).
Chemist20
Feb26-12, 08:45 AM
P: 87
Quote Quote by ZealScience View Post
What do you mean? Usually, in QM, J is used to describe the total angular momentum operator and the corresponding eigenvalue, same as orbital angular momentum L

The quantum number, however, does not equal to the value of total angular momentum. Orbital angular momentum number l, for example, usually represents (I can't remember the exact notation) total of l(l+1).

yeah thats what I thought! But if you look up info about microwave spectroscopy, they talk about J as rotational QN!

Register to reply