Bio-statistics, Poisson distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in Bio-statistics involving the probability of infants developing otitis media in the first year of life. The textbook provided answers, but the speaker could not replicate them. The first question involves calculating the probability of an infant developing otitis media by the 9th month given no episodes were observed by the end of the 3rd month. The second question involves determining the proportion of five-sibling families that are otitis-prone. The speaker attempted to solve the problems using different methods but the results did not match the textbook's answers. Suggestions were given for alternative approaches.
Yoha
I'm studying Bio-statistics and I came across this problem from the textbook.It's actually answered on the back of the book, but I couldn't really get the same numbers.

i Desease-free infants at the end of month i
0 2500
1 2425
2 2375
3 2300
4 2180
5 2000
6 1875
7 1700
8 1500
9 1300
10 1250
11 1225
12 1200

I computed infant will have 1 or more episodes of otitis media by the end of 6th month and first year of life
P(6 months) =0.25
P(year)=.52

There are two questions that I couldn’t get the same result as the book said.

a- What is the probability that an infant will have one or more episodes of otitis by the en of 9th month given that no episodes have been observed by the end of the 3rd month?

b- Suppose an otitis –prone family is defined as one in which at least 3 siblings of 5 develop otitis in the first 6 monthof life. What a proportion of five-sibling family is otitis prone if we assume the disease occur independently for different siblings in a family?

My answers:
a- If we consider there was no observed until the third month, we have 6 months of observations.
P(9th)=.52 and p(4th)=.872
I tried to to answer , but it wasn’t the same as the book answer (Book answer is .435

b- We have 3 in 5 which is equal .6
So I considered this lamda and I applied it on Poisson formula P(x; μ) = (e-μ) (μx) / x!
But the result wasn’t as what the book said. Book answer is 0.104

Can anybody think of better way talking this problem!

Physics news on Phys.org
a) 1000 infants fall ill between months 3 and 9; 2300 are healthy at the end of month 3. So...

b) Consider applying the Binomial distribution instead of Poisson.

Thanks for your clarification.:smile:

1. What is Bio-statistics?

Bio-statistics is a branch of statistics that focuses on the analysis and interpretation of data in the field of biology and medicine. It involves the use of statistical methods to design experiments, collect and analyze data, and draw conclusions about biological phenomena.

2. What is the Poisson distribution?

The Poisson distribution is a probability distribution that is used to model the number of events that occur within a specific interval of time or space. It is often used when the events are rare and independent of each other.

3. How is the Poisson distribution used in Bio-statistics?

In Bio-statistics, the Poisson distribution is used to model the number of occurrences of a specific event, such as the number of mutations in a DNA sequence or the number of cells infected by a virus. It can also be used to estimate the probability of rare events, such as the occurrence of a disease in a population.

4. What are the assumptions of the Poisson distribution?

The Poisson distribution assumes that the events occur independently of each other, the average rate of events is constant, and the probability of an event occurring in a small interval is proportional to the size of the interval. It also assumes that the events cannot occur more than once in the same interval and that the events are rare.

5. How is the Poisson distribution different from other probability distributions?

The Poisson distribution is different from other probability distributions, such as the normal distribution, because it is discrete rather than continuous. This means that the possible values are counted numbers (e.g. 0, 1, 2, 3, etc.) rather than all possible values within a range. Additionally, the Poisson distribution is often used to model rare events, while other distributions are used for more common events.