Galilean principle of relativity

by Wox
Tags: galilean relativity
Wox
Feb29-12, 05:04 AM
P: 71
A Galilean transformation consists of a rotation (in space), a boost (in space) and a translation (in space and time). This can be represented for homogeneous coordinates as

[tex]
\left[\begin{matrix}t'\\x'\\y'\\z'\\1\end{matrix}\right]=

\left[\begin{matrix}
1&0&0&0&t_{t}\\
u_{x}&R_{11}&R_{12}&R_{13}&t_{x}\\
u_{y}&R_{21}&R_{22}&R_{23}&t_{y}\\
u_{z}&R_{31}&R_{32}&R_{33}&t_{z}\\
0&0&0&0&1
\end{matrix}\right]

\cdot\left[\begin{matrix}t\\x\\y\\z\\1\end{matrix}\right]
[/tex]

To me there seem to be two principles of relativity in frames that are related by a Galilean transformation. The first says that all physical laws described in Galilean space-time have the same form in frames related by a Galilean transformation. Newton's second law of motion for example given by [itex]F=m.a[/itex] in one frame becomes [itex]F'=m.a'[/itex] in the second frame, while [itex]F[/itex] and [itex]F'[/itex] transform under a Galilean transformation.

The second says that all physical laws are the same in frames that are related by a Galilean transformation with [itex]R=id[/itex] (i.e. inertial frames of reference). Again Newton's second law of motion: [itex]F=F'[/itex] and [itex]a=a'[/itex].

Is this a correct understanding of Galilean relativity?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
Wox
Feb29-12, 10:00 AM
P: 71
Actually I'm really having problems with the concept of Galilean relativity and I think it is because I don't understand Galilean spacetime properly. Consider a world line and its underlying spatial trajectory
[tex]
\bar{w}\colon \mathbb{R}\to \mathbb{R}^{4}\colon t \mapsto (t,\bar{x}(t))
[/tex]
[tex]
\bar{x}\colon \mathbb{R}\to \mathbb{R}^{3}\colon t \mapsto (x,y,z)
[/tex]
where [itex]\mathbb{R}^{3}[/itex] with the Euclidean structure and [itex]\mathbb{R}^{4}[/itex] with the Galilean structure. The acceleration of the world line is given by
[tex]
\bar{a}\colon \mathbb{R}\to \mathbb{R}^{4}\colon t\mapsto \frac{d^{2}\bar{w}}{dt^{2}}=(0,\frac{d^{2}\bar{x}}{dt^{2}})\equiv(0,\ti lde{a}(t))
[/tex]
A force field is given by [itex]\bar{F}\colon \mathbb{R}^{4}\to \mathbb{R}^{3}[/itex] and it can be evaluated along a world line by using [itex]\bar{F}(\bar{w}(t))=m \tilde{a}(t)[/itex] When change frame using a Galilean transformation
[tex]
t=t'+t_{t}\quad\quad \bar{x}=t'\bar{u}+R\cdot\bar{x}'+\bar{t}_{\bar{x}}
[/tex]
we find that
[tex]
\tilde{a}(t)=R\cdot \tilde{a}'(t')\Leftrightarrow \bar{F}(\bar{w}(t))=m\tilde{a}(t)=m R\cdot \tilde{a}'(t')=R\cdot \bar{F}(\bar{w}'(t'))
[/tex]

So for inertial frames ([itex]R=id[/itex]) we find that [itex]\bar{F}(\bar{w}(t))=\bar{F}(\bar{w}'(t'))[/itex]. Is this then the second aspect of Galilean relativity? And what about the other aspect that states that laws have the same form after a Galilean transformation?

Both aspects of invariance are for example discussed here.

Register to reply