PDF of Matrix Transformation

by alpines4
Tags: matrix, transformation
Share this thread:
alpines4
Mar2-12, 11:10 AM
P: 4
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Define X to be an n-vector of jointly continuous random variables X1, ..., Xn with joint pdf f(x) mapping R^n to R. Let A be an invertible nxn matrix and set Y=AX+b. I want to derive the pdf of f(y) in terms of f(x), the original pdf.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Given a random variable and its PDF f(x), the transformation of Y=g(X) is (given that g is one to one and thus has an inverse) f(g^{-1}(y)) * g'(y). I don't know how to generalize this to a matrix, however. I assume it will be kind of similar... Any help is appreciated. I just need some tips to get started. Thank you!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
sunjin09
Mar4-12, 10:26 PM
P: 312
Quote Quote by alpines4 View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Define X to be an n-vector of jointly continuous random variables X1, ..., Xn with joint pdf f(x) mapping R^n to R. Let A be an invertible nxn matrix and set Y=AX+b. I want to derive the pdf of f(y) in terms of f(x), the original pdf.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Given a random variable and its PDF f(x), the transformation of Y=g(X) is (given that g is one to one and thus has an inverse) f(g^{-1}(y)) * g'(y). I don't know how to generalize this to a matrix, however. I assume it will be kind of similar... Any help is appreciated. I just need some tips to get started. Thank you!

Intuitively the pdf of Y=g(X) is given by
[tex]f_X(x)|dx|=f_Y(y)|dy|[/tex]
In the case of vector x and y, dx and dy is related through the determinant of the Jacobian matrix between x and y

Register to reply