by Pythagorean
Tags: driver, license, nevada, robots
Share this thread:
Ryan_m_b
Mar6-12, 07:14 AM
Mentor
P: 5,469
Quote Quote by ThomasT View Post
I don't think the inability to commute is a major factor wrt unemployment. But automation, outsourcing and offshoring certainly are.

Millions of jobs which were formerly done by American people are now done by computers, or robots, or foreign labor.

As far as I can tell, no matter how this is parsed, it doesn't seem to me to be a good thing. At least not for Americans.
The link I provided was not to do with the US. I appreciate that in the US the situation might be different due to distances however in the UK (which my link was talking about) increased access to transportation could be a huge boon for the poorest people. The population density of the UK is extremely high, there aren't many places that are less than an hours drive from a major town/city. The problem is getting people in areas of high unemployment to places where there are jobs. I'm not suggesting this as a solution to the unemployment problem at all, I'm suggesting that it could help however by giving everyone the chance to be a commuter and by speeding up commutes through far better coordination.

For the latter here's a great example: I got a lift to work this morning and we were stopped at some traffic lights. The driver was gazing out of the window and didn't realise the light had turned green. She quickly realised and drove off but not before a few seconds had passed leaving a gap between us and the next car that a couple of cars could fit in. That means that someone is going to get stuck at those lights who wouldn't have before and this kind of thing happens all the time. If cars could not only self-drive but share data with each other then they could move in a far more efficient and coordinated manner reducing fuel costs and travel times.
ThomasT
Mar6-12, 07:31 AM
P: 1,414
Quote Quote by Ryan_m_b View Post
The link I provided was not to do with the US. I appreciate that in the US the situation might be different due to distances however in the UK (which my link was talking about) increased access to transportation could be a huge boon for the poorest people.
Ok. But you don't need robots for that. Just put more buses (I don't know what you call them in England) in service. Each bus can carry, what, about 50 or 60 people at a time -- with one driver. How are robot drivers going to make any difference at all?

I think this whole robot driver robot vehicle thing is just, well, sort of idiotic. But that's just my current opinion, and, of course, it could be quite wrong.
Borg
Mar6-12, 07:39 AM
PF Gold
P: 771
Quote Quote by Office_Shredder View Post
And every action movie will include a scene where the automatic driver gets killed for some reason and the hero has to steer the car down an empty street at 25 mph
It wouldn't be an action movie if you didn't at least put an unattended baby carriage at the end of the block.
For the latter here's a great example: I got a lift to work this morning and we were stopped at some traffic lights. The driver was gazing out of the window and didn't realise the light had turned green. She quickly realised and drove off but not before a few seconds had passed leaving a gap between us and the next car that a couple of cars could fit in. That means that someone is going to get stuck at those lights who wouldn't have before and this kind of thing happens all the time. If cars could not only self-drive but share data with each other then they could move in a far more efficient and coordinated manner reducing fuel costs and travel times.
I agree. A lot of congestion is due to driver inattentiveness and also inconsiderate behavior. I have often seen people who will drive in the left lane with the goal of cutting over to the right at the last possible moment so that they don't waste any of their precious time. Unfortunately, this causes all of the people behind to suddenly stop, which then leads to irregular accelerations, gaps and slower average speeds.
Ryan_m_b
Mar6-12, 11:46 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by ThomasT View Post
Ok. But you don't need robots for that. Just put more buses (I don't know what you call them in England) in service. Each bus can carry, what, about 50 or 60 people at a time -- with one driver. How are robot drivers going to make any difference at all?

I think this whole robot driver robot vehicle thing is just, well, sort of idiotic. But that's just my current opinion, and, of course, it could be quite wrong.
If you mean this then yes we do call them buses and yup you are absolutely right better use of them and trains, trams etc are a must for a better public transport service. If self-driving cars came in this could substantially change public transport for the better e.g. smaller buses with variable (within limits) routes that can pick up and drop of people to different places on demand for a more flexible service. Also as has been stated self-driving cars could have far faster and more efficient traffic.

Lastly if self-driving cars were utilised as PRT you wouldn't need one per person, cars IRL probably spend 90% of there time stationary not servicing anyone. It's quite conceivable that one self-driving car could serve 50 people but in a faster, more convenient way. Problems of travel in peak time would have to be mitigated but I'm sure they could e.g. automatic car pooling.

Bare in mind that I'm not saying that nothing can be done without self-driving cars. But I'm saying that they could dramatically increase the capability and efficiency of public transport systems.
jobyts
Mar6-12, 06:22 PM
P: 216
Not sure if someone already mentioned this earlier.

In Nevada, if a pedestrian crosses the road in an unmarked area and a car hits him/her, the law favors the car driver. In California, the law always favor the pedestrian, regardless of whose fault it is.
Pythagorean
Mar7-12, 02:35 AM
PF Gold
P: 4,287
Easy lawsuit generator in Cali. Bring your own neck brace.
SW VandeCarr
Mar7-12, 01:26 PM
P: 2,499
Everyone is talking about the risks/benefits of giving robots drivers' licenses, but that's not the reason the state is doing this. The state is broke. They just need the revenue. I think the next step will be robot marriage licenses, including for gay robot marriage (quickie divorces too).

EDIT: And where else can you get married by a (robotic?) Elvis impersonator?.
Pythagorean
Mar7-12, 02:04 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,287
when can I get married to a robot?
Ryan_m_b
Mar7-12, 02:14 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Pythagorean View Post
when can I get married to a robot?
If it's ever allowed you'll have to get in line behind these guys:
Greg Bernhardt
Mar7-12, 02:15 PM
Admin
P: 9,529
If it's ever allowed you'll have to get in line behind these guys:
Wow! A real life Lars and the Real Girl!
CaptFirePanda
Mar7-12, 02:24 PM
P: 27
There's also the dude who married his anime pillow and the other on who married some character from a Nintendo DS game.

Register to reply