Credible Anomalies and Mysteries

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the napster of anomalies for scholars is a forum dedicated to discussing credible scientific anomalies, mysteries of nature, and legitimate scientific puzzles. It includes links and brief quotes related to topics such as ball lightning, earth lights, fireballs, and other unusual phenomena. The forum aims to maintain high academic standards while also providing representation for genuine mysteries that offer unique challenges to scientists. The content may be reorganized from time to time and participants are encouraged to post links to scholarly papers and references for further discussion. The forum was created thanks to a suggestion by Nereid and is open for comments and suggestions from interested parties.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121087447348895873.html?mod=yhoofront

This is a brand new article that says they may have solved at least part of the Pioneer anomaly. Any more news on this?quote

"After six years of work, the researchers expect to finish restoring the last data files next month. Based on a partial analysis, Dr. Turyshev reported in April at a meeting of the American Physical Society in St. Louis that at least 30% of the force can be attributed to heat radiating from the probe. "The rest is unknown," he said."

Physics news on Phys.org
Sudden Unexpected Nocturnal Death Syndrome

...The surreal deaths of more than 100 healthy adults in the U.S., primarily in Minnesota, are perhaps the most mysterious of all. Since 1977, more than a hundred Southeast Asian immigrants in the U.S., primarily ethnic Hmong from Laos, have died from a mysterious disorder known as Sudden Unexpected Nocturnal Death Syndrome, according to reports by the U.S. Center for Disease Control. The victims were mostly men in their 30s or older, who were apparently in good health when they died in their sleep for no apparent reason.

"The victim has no known antecedent illnesses, and there are no factors that might precipitate cardiac arrest," the Cambridge History of Disease notes. "At autopsy, no cause of death can be identified in the heart, lung or brain. Postmortem toxicologic screening tests reveal no poisons." ...
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2035968#post2035968

Credible anomalies:

Zwickey discovered in the 1930's that clusters of galaxies had redshift distributions so high that the clusters should have long ago torn themselves apart, if GR was correct.

Vera Rubin discovered a couple of decades later that the rotational curves of galaxies were too flat to have been explained by GR.

Consensus is that GR must be right, and so far, we have invocations of Dark Matter on two widely-different observational scales to "fix" the differences between observations and theory. More recently, we have Dark Matter invoked in cosmology to explain how matter accreted so soon after recombination to form objects that we see at z>6 and even some very out-there theories about how dark-matter annihilation in the early universe could have powered PopIII stars and metallized the early universe.

Last edited by a moderator:
This appears to be the sacred plain where broken links go to die. : /

You are welcome to provide updated links.

Wow, quite a basket! Some of these have long since been debunked, others not to my knowledge. I have my work cut out for me. Thanks for the cites, Ivan! You always come up with curious stuff.

bassplayer142 said:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121087447348895873.html?mod=yhoofront

This is a brand new article that says they may have solved at least part of the Pioneer anomaly. Any more news on this?quote

"After six years of work, the researchers expect to finish restoring the last data files next month. Based on a partial analysis, Dr. Turyshev reported in April at a meeting of the American Physical Society in St. Louis that at least 30% of the force can be attributed to heat radiating from the probe. "The rest is unknown," he said."

The PA is a blue shift interpreted as a sunwards acceleration of (8.74±1.33)×10−10ms−2, if 30% can be explained by normal physics that would leave an anomalous equivalent acceleration of (6.12±0.93)×10−10ms−2.

Note cH (an acceleration equivalent to a cosmological clock drift) is equal to: 7.2×10−10ms−2.

Garth

Chronos said:
Wow, quite a basket! Some of these have long since been debunked, others not to my knowledge. I have my work cut out for me. Thanks for the cites, Ivan! You always come up with curious stuff.

If you see anything that has been "debunked" [...more appropriately perhaps, "explained". Everything was vetted before it was posted here. Nothing should be "debunkable"], and this is not indicated in the associated link, please let me know. Note that I always try to provide a link to the respective PF discussion, if one exists.

There were some papers linked from the archives, way back when, that are no longer appropriate, but I think most of that was cleaned up.

Last edited: