Register to reply

A Source of Anti Matter found

by Tanelorn
Tags: anti, matter, source
Share this thread:
Tanelorn
Mar5-12, 12:58 PM
P: 727
I had not heard of this, so I thought others might be interested.

I thought that all natural Anti matter had been lost at the beginning of the Universe, but apparently there is a 10000 light year cloud of anti matter near the center of our galaxy:

http://www.space.com/4837-source-mys...ntimatter.html

Any comments?
Phys.Org News Partner Space news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Collaboration aims to reduce, treat vision problems in astronauts
Eta Carinae: Our Neighboring Superstars
mathman
Mar5-12, 03:14 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,062
The article seems to imply that the anti-matter is of recent origin, not from the beginning of the universe. It appears to consist of positrons coming from high energy gamma ray reactions (pair production).
Drakkith
Mar5-12, 09:18 PM
Mentor
P: 11,866
Quote Quote by Tanelorn View Post
I had not heard of this, so I thought others might be interested.

I thought that all natural Anti matter had been lost at the beginning of the Universe, but apparently there is a 10000 light year cloud of anti matter near the center of our galaxy:

http://www.space.com/4837-source-mys...ntimatter.html

Any comments?
Natural anti-matter is being made constantly in the universe, so it isn't that much of a suprise to find a cloud of it. But an interesting read nonetheless.

clamtrox
Mar6-12, 07:14 AM
P: 939
A Source of Anti Matter found

Hmm, is it a cloud of antimatter or just a cloud of regular matter with enough antimatter to make it glow? How did the antimatter from pair-production get separated from ordinary matter then?
twofish-quant
Mar6-12, 10:18 AM
P: 6,863
Quote Quote by clamtrox View Post
Hmm, is it a cloud of antimatter or just a cloud of regular matter with enough antimatter to make it glow?
It's not a cloud of pure anti-matter. What happens is that if you heat something hot enough, it will start generating anti-matter/matter pairs. The anti-matter then interacts with the matter and gives you a specific radiation line.

How did the antimatter from pair-production get separated from ordinary matter then?
When you produce an anti-matter/matter pair, the particles go in opposite directions. The anti-matter just continues until it hits some other piece of matter.
clamtrox
Mar8-12, 09:30 AM
P: 939
Quote Quote by twofish-quant View Post
It's not a cloud of pure anti-matter. What happens is that if you heat something hot enough, it will start generating anti-matter/matter pairs. The anti-matter then interacts with the matter and gives you a specific radiation line.
If the temperature were low enough to only produce electron-positron pairs, then you could separate them by electric or magnetic fields or whatever, but I guess that is not what is happening here.

Register to reply