by steve2510
Tags: body, diagram, free
Share this thread:
steve2510
Mar5-12, 02:52 PM
P: 36
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg804...gif&res=medium
I have to change this space diagram into a free body diagram and i am struggling

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have put a reaction force in the the x direction at point J and a rection force in the y direction at point j aswell. I have also done the same at Point E. I don't no if this is right? I'm not sure if there is meant to be a moment force somewhere? Could anyone help?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
OldEngr63
Mar5-12, 04:54 PM
P: 343
The purpose of the wheel at J is to prevent any horizontal reaction at that point, so the only external force there is vertical. Now at E, the pin will support both a horizontal and vertical force, but no moment, so forces in both directions there are correct.
steve2510
Mar5-12, 05:03 PM
P: 36
thanks very much !

Femme_physics
Mar5-12, 07:36 PM
PF Gold
P: 2,551
Free Body Diagram

Are you only asked for a free body diagram?

Because, it's also important you get the vectors direction right, and this you can normally only do with calculations.

While in principle pin E supports both a horizontal and a vertical force, you can see that no horizontal force is applied at the structure. So there is no horizontal force there at E.

Also, you can see that both vertical reactions at J and E will point up, because all the other forces in between them point down.

Register to reply