Mar7-12, 05:15 PM
P: 516
y' = x
x' = -5y-4x

y(0) = 1
x(0) = 0

after finding the general solution as shown here
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...%27+%3D+-5y-4x

how do you go about applying the initial values and finding the complete solution?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
HallsofIvy
Mar7-12, 05:24 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,879
Your general solution should have two undetermined coefficients. Substitute 0 for t, set x= 0, y= 1 and you will have two equations to solve for the two coefficients.
Ry122
Mar7-12, 10:39 PM
P: 516
actually I don't think wolfram alpha has done the correct thing in making x and y a function of t as there's no mention of another variable in the original equations. What would you do when they aren't functions of t?

HallsofIvy
Mar8-12, 07:13 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,879

1st order ivp

You can call the independent variable whatever you want! What did you mean by x' and y'? I assumed the primes were derivatives. With respect to what variable?

Register to reply