Register to reply

Dot product of Force and Position as a constant of motion - physical significance?

Share this thread:
sam guns
Mar8-12, 03:12 PM
P: 3
Reason I posted this in the maths help forum is that an equation of this form randomly popped up in a homework I was doing on differential geometry. I started with a one-form ω=dβ (β is a scalar function) and found that if for a random vector v, ω(v) = 0, then

[itex]\frac{d}{dt} \left( \gamma^{i}\frac{\partial\beta}{\partial x^{i}} \right) = 0[/itex]

where γ is the integral curve of v (aka the position if you interpret v as a velocity)

If you interpret the scalar field β as a potential field, then this says that the dot product of position and force is a constant of motion. Understanding it is not really significant to what I am expected to turn in, but regardless, does it have any physical significance?
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
tiny-tim
Mar8-12, 03:21 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,157
hi sam! welcome to pf!

it looks like the formula for a bead sliding along a frictionless rod forced to rotate (irregularly) about a pivot
but, so far as i know, it has no practical significance
sam guns
Mar8-12, 03:33 PM
P: 3
Thanks for your reply! It's kind of what I suspected, for a second I thought it could be some important constant of motion related to the virial theorem or something like that, but I couldn't find anything in my old mechanics textbooks. I guess it's just a curiosity then :)

Register to reply