Elementary Physics for you maybe?

In summary, the direction of air flow through a filter should not significantly affect its efficiency, as long as the fan is powerful enough. The type of fan (impeller or propeller) may depend on the fan's power.
spidermanpcs
I have a polyethylene cylinder exactly double the diameter and length of a toilet paper cardboard tube, attached inside the cylinder 3" from the topside of the cylinder I have a tightly secured round vented 10 Micron plastic carbon filter disc encompassing the entire inside diameter which only allows air to flow threw the filter , my question is "If I connect a small electric fan to push air UP threw the Cartridge filter will I get the same flow ratio opposed to drawing air DOWN threw the carbon disc filter? is one direction somehow more efficient? Should I use an Impeller or Propeller fan? I hope I have been clear in my description? I'm not even sure if I have a physics question here??

Thanks for your help, I do appreciate it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your question is related to fluid dynamics, and in particular the flow of air through a filter. The direction of flow (up or down) should not affect the efficiency of the filter, as long as the fan is powerful enough to generate the necessary pressure. Depending on the power of the fan, an impeller or propeller fan may be more suitable.

1. What is the definition of physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand and explain the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of our physical world.

2. What are the main areas of study in elementary physics?

The main areas of study in elementary physics include mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics. These areas cover topics such as motion, forces, energy, heat, electricity, magnetism, light, and atomic and nuclear physics.

3. How does physics relate to everyday life?

Physics plays a crucial role in our daily lives, from the technology we use to the natural phenomena we observe. It helps us understand how things work, from the movement of objects to the behavior of matter and energy. Many modern inventions, such as cars, computers, and smartphones, are based on principles of physics.

4. What are some important principles in elementary physics?

Some important principles in elementary physics include Newton's laws of motion, the laws of thermodynamics, the law of conservation of energy, the properties of waves, and the principles of electricity and magnetism. These principles help us understand and predict the behavior of physical systems.

5. How can one apply elementary physics in real-world situations?

Elementary physics can be applied in various real-world situations, such as designing structures, creating new technologies, and solving everyday problems. For example, understanding the principles of mechanics can help engineers design buildings and bridges that can withstand different forces, while knowledge of electricity and magnetism is essential for developing electronic devices and power systems.