Smell of Rotting Human Bodies After Tsunami in Asia

In summary, the conversation discusses the stench of rotting dead bodies in warm climates, specifically in Indonesia after the recent Tsunami. The speaker wonders if it is similar to roadkill or if it has a unique smell. They mention seeing gruesome pictures on a website and ask for input from those with medical knowledge. Another speaker mentions the overpowering stench at concentration camps after WWII, causing people to vomit and pass out.
tumor
After seeing images from recent Tsunami in Asia and hundreds/thousands of human corpses lying all over the place, i just wonder how bad is stench of rotting dead bodies lying in warm climate like in Indonesia? Is it kind of like regular road kill or dead cow, or maybe the smell is specific only to us?
I have seen some incredibly gruesome pictures of victims from Tsunami on www.Ogrish.com, but I want to know what you guys can tell me on this.
Some of you might be attending medical schools, so I guess you know more.Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've seen video of the liberation of the concentration camps after WWII. The stench is overpowering. That combined with the fact that its dead bodies you smell and people were vomiting and passing out all over the place.

The smell of rotting human bodies after a natural disaster like a tsunami is truly horrific. It is not something that can easily be compared to road kill or a dead cow. The stench is overwhelming and can linger for a long time, especially in warm climates like in Indonesia. The smell is not specific to any one person or group, it is a result of the decomposition process of human bodies.

As for those attending medical school, they may have a better understanding of the chemical processes and odors associated with decomposition, but it is not something they can fully prepare for. Seeing and smelling the aftermath of a disaster like a tsunami is a traumatic experience and can have a lasting impact on those who witness it.

I would also like to caution against seeking out gruesome images and videos online. While they may satisfy your curiosity, they can also be extremely disturbing and disrespectful to the victims and their families. It is important to approach these topics with sensitivity and empathy.

In the face of a tragedy like a tsunami, it is important to focus on the human aspect and offer support and aid to those affected. The smell of rotting bodies is a somber reminder of the lives lost, and our thoughts should be with the victims and their loved ones during this difficult time.

1. What causes the smell of rotting human bodies after a tsunami?

The smell of rotting human bodies after a tsunami is caused by the decomposition process of the bodies. When a person dies, their body starts to break down and release gases and chemicals that produce a foul odor.

2. How long does the smell of rotting human bodies last after a tsunami?

The duration of the smell can vary depending on various factors such as temperature, humidity, and the number of bodies present. In general, the smell can last for several weeks to a few months.

3. Is the smell of rotting human bodies after a tsunami harmful?

The smell itself is not harmful, but it can indicate the presence of bacteria and other pathogens that can be harmful to human health. It is important to avoid contact with the bodies and to take necessary precautions to prevent the spread of diseases.

4. How is the smell of rotting human bodies after a tsunami managed?

The management of the smell involves proper disposal and burial of the bodies. In some cases, chemicals or other methods may be used to speed up the decomposition process and reduce the odor. Additionally, proper sanitation and hygiene measures should be taken to prevent the spread of diseases.

5. Can the smell of rotting human bodies after a tsunami be prevented?

Unfortunately, the smell cannot be prevented as it is a natural result of the decomposition process. However, proper disaster preparedness and response can help to reduce the number of deaths and minimize the impact of disasters.