How to calculate steam consumption?

• Thread starter Musabbir Huss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Steam
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of determining the amount of steam consumed by three specific machines without flow meters installed. Suggestions are made to use non-intrusive flowmeters or contact the manufacturers for information, but it is mentioned that the equipment is old and may have been locally manufactured.
Musabbir Huss
there is a boiler of capacity of 150 lb/hr. steam is being consumed in multiple machines. my area of interest are three particular machines and i want to find out how much amount of steam is being used by each machine. there are no flow meters installed. all i can see is a pressure gauge at the inlet of a machine (dryer) and the reading is 35 psi. and the pressure at the outlet of the boiler is about 135 psi. How can i find out the steam consumption in dryer and other machines using pressure reading?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could investigate using a non-intrusive flowmeter, although I've only ever used them on oil systems so they might not work with steam. Alternativly contact the manufacturers and ask them about steam consumption.

Jobrag said:
You could investigate using a non-intrusive flowmeter, although I've only ever used them on oil systems so they might not work with steam. Alternativly contact the manufacturers and ask them about steam consumption.

What is a non-intrusive flowmeter?
Unfortunately the equipment is too old and the owner does not happen to have the catalogs, he knows nothing about the manufacturers. from the look of the equipment it looks to be manufactured in some local workshop (i'm not sure).

1. What is steam consumption?

Steam consumption refers to the amount of steam that is used in a given time period. It is typically measured in units of mass, such as kilograms or pounds.

2. Why is it important to calculate steam consumption?

Calculating steam consumption is important for several reasons. It allows for efficient use of steam, which can save energy and reduce costs. It also helps in determining the capacity of steam boilers and other equipment that require steam.

3. How do you calculate steam consumption?

Steam consumption can be calculated using the following formula:
Steam Consumption (kg/h) = Heat Load (kW) / (Specific Enthalpy of Steam - Specific Enthalpy of Feedwater)

4. What factors can affect steam consumption?

The amount of steam consumed can be influenced by various factors, including the heat load, temperature and pressure of the steam, and the efficiency of the steam system. Changes in these factors can impact the amount of steam needed for a specific process or application.

5. Are there any tools or software available for calculating steam consumption?

Yes, there are various tools and software available that can assist in calculating steam consumption. These include steam tables, steam calculators, and simulation software specifically designed for steam systems. It is important to use reliable and accurate data when using these tools for accurate results.