Why is silver good for making jewellery?

• Thread starter Inka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Silver
In summary, silver is a popular choice for making jewelry due to its aesthetic properties such as ductility and maleability, as well as its relative softness. Its low chemical reactivity also makes it resistant to rusting. However, it can be damaged by salt water and certain acids. In comparison, metal plated plastic offers a shiny appearance and easy replacement, but lacks the durability and value of silver.
Inka
Hey, I got to explain why silver is good to use for making jewellery. Aside from the obvious aesthetic properties, is there any physical properties anyone knows that make it good to use?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Inka said:
Hey, I got to explain why silver is good to use for making jewellery. Aside from the obvious aesthetic properties, is there any physical properties anyone knows that make it good to use?

Thanks

Among the ductility and maleability (the properties which allow practically any continuous deformations of the metal),relative softness (it can be easily cut in various shapes),the chemical property of low chemical reactivity is the most important.Basically it does not rust.I mean,in combination with PURE water and oxygen molecules it doesn't interact.However,salted water does a lotta damage.The usual acids met around the house (citric acid from fruit,ascorbic acid from fruit,carbonic acid from soda,acetic acid from vinegar,lactic and other acids result of glucide oxydation) does not affect however.

Daniel.

I've got the agree with dexterciob. There are things you can do with silver that you just can't do with play-doh or bits of string. And besides, it's much shinier.

Which brings us metal plated plastic. Metal plated plastic is nice and shinny. It is easily replaced if broken, damaged, or stolen. These are features not found in your garden variety silver bangles.

For a quarter I can replace a scratched and damaged ring the next time I visit the 99 cent store or the gumball machine at the local food store. I decorate all 10 digits with these little twinkling treasures. I am pleased with the attention they draw.

1. Why is silver a popular choice for making jewellery?

Silver is known for its beautiful luster and shine, making it a popular choice for jewellery. It is also relatively affordable compared to other precious metals like gold or platinum.

2. What makes silver a good material for jewellery?

Silver is a soft and malleable metal, making it easy to shape into intricate designs. It is also durable and does not easily tarnish, making it a long-lasting material for jewellery.

3. Is silver hypoallergenic for jewellery wearers?

Yes, silver is generally considered hypoallergenic, meaning it is unlikely to cause an allergic reaction in most people. However, some individuals with sensitive skin may still experience irritation from certain silver alloys.

4. How does silver compare to other metals used for jewellery making?

Silver is often compared to gold and platinum in terms of its use for jewellery. While gold and platinum are more expensive, silver is more affordable and offers a similar level of durability and beauty.

5. Is silver a sustainable choice for jewellery making?

Yes, silver is considered a sustainable choice for jewellery making. It is a naturally occurring metal that can be recycled and reused, reducing the need for mining and minimizing its impact on the environment.