Understanding the Hilbert Space Postulate in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the postulates of quantum mechanics state that observables have complete eigenfunctions, such as position kets and momentum kets. These kets span the Hilbert space and can be represented by operators x' and p'. The Schrodinger equation is then postulated and the Hamiltonian is defined in terms of x' and p'. The eigenstates of the Hamiltonian span the same space as the position and momentum eigenstates, and this is necessary for the variational principle to work. It is not clear whether the completeness of energy eigenstates is a postulate or a result of the completeness of position and momentum eigenstates.
lackrange
So one of the postulate of quantum mechanics is that observables have complete eigenfunctions. Can someone let me know if I am understanding this properly:

Basically you postulate for example, position kets |x> such that any state can be represented by a linear combination of these states (integral), and you postulate an operator x' such that x'|x>=x|x>. So basically the Hilbert space is the span of |x>?...Then you can postulate other kets, like momentum kets |p> that also span the Hilbert space, and you postulate an operator p' such that p'|p>=p|p>. Then any state can be represented as an integral over |p>, including the position states. So by postulation, the span of |x> equals the span of |p>? Then we postulate the Schrodinger equation, and write H' as some combination of the x' and p' operators, and that the eigenfunctions of H' (which can be written in terms of |x> or |p>) span the same space spanned by |x> and |p>?...How do we know this? Or do instead the eigenfunctions of H' define the Hilbert space, and there are states that can be represented by linear combinations of |x> or |p> but aren't actual states?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, that's right. The Hilbert space can be spanned by the eigenvectors of x' or p', which is made explicit by the fact that you can write one operator in terms of the other--specifically, they're Fourier transforms of each other. The Hamiltonian is then defined in terms of those operators, and by solving for its eigenvalues we find the allowable values of energy in the system.

I'm not sure what you mean by your last line, though, "Or do instead the eigenfunctions of H' define the Hilbert space, and there are states that can be represented by linear combinations of |x> or |p> but aren't actual states?" Any state that is a linear combination of |x>'s or |p>'s must itself be a state in the Hilbert space, although they may or may not be eigenstates of the Hamiltonian.

The eigenstates of the Hamiltonian do span the Hilbert space, though, so it's possible to build x or p eigenstates out of pure energy states, if that's what you're asking. This is especially easy to see in the case of a free Hamiltonian, where H = p^2/2m, so eigenstates of momentum are also eigenstates of energy and vice versa.

That's basically what I'm asking. So is the fact that the energy eigenstates are complete part of the postulate, or is it just a result of the position and momentum eigenstates being complete? If it's the latter, is it obvious?

That's something I've never been completely clear on, either. It's definitely true that they do--that fact is used in lots of QM calculations--but I don't know exactly how one proves it. My impression has always been that there's some sort of deep theorem here which says that the eigenstates of any Hermitian operator span the space, or something along those lines, but I don't know exactly what it is. Perhaps somebody better-versed in the technicalities of linear algebra can shed some light on this?

Ok. So basically if you could measure a particle to be at position b, then the position operator has to have an associated eigenket |b>, and whatever states these eigenkets span, H' also spans? I think this would have to be provable..otherwise when you use the variational principle, how would you know if the function you choose can be expressed as a combination of energy eigenstates, which the whole principle relies on?..

1. What is the Hilbert space postulate?

The Hilbert space postulate is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that the state of a quantum system can be described by a vector in a complex vector space known as Hilbert space.

2. Who developed the Hilbert space postulate?

The Hilbert space postulate was developed by German mathematician David Hilbert in the early 20th century.

3. What is the significance of the Hilbert space postulate in quantum mechanics?

The Hilbert space postulate provides a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems. It allows for the calculation of probabilities for different outcomes of measurements on a quantum system.

4. Can the Hilbert space postulate be applied to classical systems?

No, the Hilbert space postulate is specific to quantum mechanics and cannot be applied to classical systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the Hilbert space postulate?

The Hilbert space postulate is a foundational principle in quantum mechanics and has been successfully used to describe and predict the behavior of many quantum systems. However, it does not fully explain all phenomena in quantum mechanics and there are ongoing debates and research about its limitations.