What should I do about my situation?

• Thread starter AndersCarlos
  • Start date
In summary, the student is complaining that traditional school isn't preparing them for the new model of admissions and they fear not being admitted because of it.
AndersCarlos
Well, it would be a long story, but I'll try to make it shorter:

I could somehow say that there are two types of admissions in a public university in my country. "Traditional" and a new model recently approved by the government, which could be compared to SAT. I intend to enter a university which uses the "Traditional" model and requires a vast knowledge in Science and Math.

My school focuses on preparing students for admission through the new model. The problem is that the new model does not require profound Math and Science, then, I could say I learn "dumbed down math and science" in school, so I won't be learning these subjects on the level I will be required.

My situation is: I have 1 year and 8 months to get prepared, admission test is really hard (though IPhO and IIT-JEE are a lot harder), school is "useless", teachers are very good, but not enough to help me through my path, the schools focused on what I want exist only in another states, so I'm basically left alone. What should I do? Stop paying attention to my math and science classes and study alone during these? Keep watching them, even though, I've already seen what we are studying in a much harder level? I know I still have a lot to learn with my teachers, but I'm really afraid of not being able to get admitted...

(Still is quite a long text, sorry...)

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like if school is useless and you need to learn, you have to take matters into your own hands. How you go about doing that is more complicated. Are you given a lot of busywork? If your homework is minimal, you should be able to devote 2-4 hours a night studies and up to 8 hours a day on weekends if you really wanted to. You can study in class, but it really depends on what your class is. If you're taking basic precalculus, for example, but you are teaching yourself calculus, then paying attention in class is likely pointless.

Perhaps you can talk to your teachers about this and tell them what you just told us.

I'd be careful about not going to your classes - that might end up being a mistake. Maybe you can use them as a foundation for deeper study, and ask the teachers to help you.

Do you have a study guide for the test you'll be taking?

Bearded Man:

Yes, I have almost no homework. I already put some quite time in studying, I get some harder books, and try to study, however I get a little demotivated when I see that there are some students that put a lot of efforts in studying for the same admission and have the school to properly prepare them, I feel like my school is delaying my progress instead of helping me...

Lisab:

Well, I'm obligated to show up for the classes, so, the question would be to pay attention to them or not... The problem with my classes is that I know most of what is being teached and in a deeper level, so they become useless. The university provides a study guide and I already planned most of my steps. But, as I've said before, school is delaying me. A simple analogy would be: teacher shows that 2+2+2=6, I am already in: 2x4 = 8, test requires that I know: 2^4 = 16, this would be an adequate proportion to show what I'm going through.

Well, it's already a little bit late, maybe I'll check this thread when I wake up.

As a scientist, my first suggestion would be to gather more information about the admissions process for the university you want to enter. Talk to current students or alumni who have gone through the traditional model and find out what specific topics and knowledge were required in the admissions test. This will give you a better idea of what to focus on in your studies.

Next, I would recommend supplementing your school education with additional resources. There are many online courses, textbooks, and practice tests available for free or at a low cost that can help you deepen your understanding of math and science. You can also consider reaching out to teachers or tutors from other states who specialize in the traditional model and see if they offer online tutoring sessions.

In terms of your current math and science classes, my suggestion would be to continue attending them and actively participate. Even if the material is not at the level you need for the admissions test, it is still valuable knowledge that will help you in your overall understanding of these subjects. However, it is important to also dedicate time outside of class to self-study and practice.

Lastly, don't be afraid to ask for help. Talk to your teachers and let them know your concerns and ask for their guidance. They may be able to provide additional resources or offer extra help outside of class. It is also important to stay motivated and determined during this time. Remember, hard work and dedication will pay off in the end. Best of luck in your studies and admissions process.

1. What are my options?

Your options depend on your specific situation, but some common options include seeking advice and support from friends or family, researching potential solutions, seeking professional help or therapy, or taking action to change your situation.

2. How do I make a decision?

Making a decision can be difficult, but it can be helpful to weigh the pros and cons of each option, consider the potential outcomes, and listen to your intuition. Seeking advice from trusted individuals can also be beneficial.

3. Should I take action or wait?

This ultimately depends on your situation and personal preferences. It's important to consider the potential consequences of both taking action and waiting, and to make a decision based on what feels right for you.

4. How do I cope with my situation?

Coping with a difficult situation can be challenging, but some strategies include practicing self-care, seeking support from loved ones, finding healthy outlets such as exercise or creative expression, and seeking professional help if needed.

5. What if I make the wrong decision?

It's important to remember that there is no such thing as a perfect decision. If you make a decision and it doesn't turn out as you hoped, it's important to practice self-compassion and learn from the experience. You can always make adjustments and try again.