Distributed/decentrallized power generation vs. Regional power generation

by Jack8rkin
Tags: generation, power, regional
Share this thread:
Jack8rkin
Mar20-12, 12:34 AM
P: 52
Hello everyone!
Need help with understanding the terms "distributed/decentralized" vs. "regional power generation".
1. Is there any difference between the terms "distributed" and "decentralized" generation (of electricity)?
I thought "distributed" means generation of electricity on units joint in a grid, whereas "decentralized" means generating power on independed small-sized units.

2. Does the term "Regional power generation" exist at all?

Thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
New filter technology uses inert gas to bore holes in high-quality steel
Augmented reality helps in industrial troubleshooting
How wireless technology can dramatically improve ship safety
SirAskalot
Mar20-12, 04:06 PM
P: 141
It is my understanding that distributed generation is done on medium/low voltage levels. That is on a line (radial) with loads connected along the line (before and after the generator(s)). This can cause problems with voltage magnitude and protection of lines, among many other problems.

Regional power generation refers to generation connected (only) to high voltage lines/grid.

But there may be other definitions that is correct.
Jack8rkin
Mar21-12, 10:00 AM
Thank you.
I do not know if I'm asking in the correct thread, but my question mostly relates to nuclear generation. There is such a tendency now that small-sized modular units are designed over the world and they are intended to operate either in local grids or individually (e.g. in off-shore oil rigs, or in remote regions whereto fuel is hard to deliver and nuclear generation becomes competitive).

Please, opinions are welcome!

SirAskalot
Mar21-12, 12:19 PM
P: 141
Distributed/decentrallized power generation vs. Regional power generation

My statement does not differentiate on what type of fuel used in generator.

I'm not familiar with small nuclear units, except at ships/sub. Although they are not "small" they either.

But if the transfer capacity of a tie-line between areas limits the loading in one remote area, then installing a generator unit without upgrading the line might be a effective measure (w.r.t. cost, environment e.g.).

But isn't nuclear waste handling and security very expensive? Thus 1 large station is more effective than 10 small?

Do you have a reference? Especially for offshore nuclear generation?
Jack8rkin
Mar21-12, 12:37 PM
"Small" is just a term. It's used for reactors below 300 MW.
http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf33.html
Can't say much about off-shore generation. Just know that such possibilities are being studied.
Jack8rkin
Mar21-12, 12:40 PM
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...ep-sea-fission

Register to reply