Register to reply

Determining the viscosity of glycerol at 20*C using Stokes Law.

Share this thread:
candide94
Apr1-12, 09:30 AM
P: 1
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I used a home made falling sphere viscosimeter to obtain:

terminal velocity = 0.06216 ms^-1

I used a micrometer to obtain:

radius = 0.001835m

and, because my value for glycerol viscosity was way off the known value of 1.495 Pa s, I decided to measure the density of the steel spheres and of the glycerol to make sure these weren't anomalous (compared to the 'standard' values):

density of steel sphere = 9775000 g/m^3
density of glyerol = 1205900 g/m^3

The steel density is a little too big, and the glycerol density a tiny bit too small, but this in fact got my answer closer to the known value. However its still a way off (see below)

2. Relevant equations

viscosity = (2*g*(r^2)*(density of sphere - density of glyercol)) / (9*terminal velocity)

3. The attempt at a solution

viscosity = (2*9.81*(0.001835^2)*(9775000-1205900))/(9*0.06216)
=1011.94 g m^-1
=1.01 kg m^-1
=1.01 Pa s

which is only about thirds of the known value! (1.495 Pa s). This is closer than what it was when I used the standard density values, however. But I can't figure out what has gone wrong. To work out terminal velocity I videod the falling spheres and used graphics analysis software to work out when they reached terminal velocity, calibrating from a mark on the screen. To keep the temperature constant I placed the test tubes in a water bath (using straight water from the tap) - the thermometer said it was at 20*C, but it was just a liquid in glass one, rather than digital... (maybe the temp was higher than I thought?) The glycerol density is pretty near to the expected value so I can't imagine its own properties having affected it. But i could be wrong.

If anyone could help me with sources of uncertainty I havent thought of, please reply! If you know of any glycerol properties that explain these anomalous results, please reply!

Thankyou
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
An interesting glimpse into how future state-of-the-art electronics might work
Tissue regeneration using anti-inflammatory nanomolecules
C2D2 fighting corrosion

Register to reply