Recommendations for IB Physics revision books

by mlitherland
Tags: higher level, ib physics, past papers, revision guide
mlitherland
Apr1-12, 10:51 AM
P: 2
I'm a Year 12 (UK) Physics student, currently in the first year of my IB course. I have been assigned some Easter revision work, and just wondered if anyone who has experience of IB Physics has any recommendations as to which books they have used in the past. I have been given two hefty textbooks, one very mathematical tome by KA Tsokos and the other a little outdated (IBID Press, 1999). A slimmer, concise yet detailed revision guide is really what I'm looking for, alongside some resource which can give me 'mock' past paper style questions. They should be suitable for IB Higher Level Physics, which is what I plan to take.
Thanks in advance for any help I receive
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
Mépris
Apr1-12, 11:11 AM
P: 826
This is the book that my school had.

I also used the notes of one Chris Hamper when I was in an IB Diploma program. I left it in favour of A-Levels, in case you're wondering, and as such cannot really give you an opinion on these resources. I only properly started learning year 12-13 physics when I started A-Levels.

Looking up "IB physics revision notes" on Google.com returns some potentially useful results.

Good luck!
mlitherland
Apr2-12, 04:49 PM
P: 2
thanks for the advice, much appreciated (and yes, the attraction of A levels does seem to multiply after a half-year of IB!)
i've done a bit more research myself, and have found a potentially useful book: "IB Prepared- Physics HL". It seems the IB publish this series of guides themselves. Has anyone else ever used these, and if so, are they any good?!

link below
http://store.ibo.org/product_info.ph...oducts_id=1577

Mépris
Apr4-12, 02:08 PM
P: 826

Recommendations for IB Physics revision books

Quote Quote by mlitherland View Post
thanks for the advice, much appreciated (and yes, the attraction of A levels does seem to multiply after a half-year of IB!)
i've done a bit more research myself, and have found a potentially useful book: "IB Prepared- Physics HL". It seems the IB publish this series of guides themselves. Has anyone else ever used these, and if so, are they any good?!

link below
http://store.ibo.org/product_info.ph...oducts_id=1577
You've got less than 1.5 years left, so stick with it! I only went back to A-Levels because my IB school didn't have a wide enough range of subjects and the teaching quality was quite average. Not worth the money being spent. Would be too expensive to go elsewhere. After all of that "drama", I couldn't be bothered and just did whatever I had to to be able to get into uni. Baaaad decisions. But anyway, water under the bridge.
Jyvedi
Jun14-12, 08:27 AM
P: 1
If you have an iPad, I've found this.
Topics 1 and 9 are free and you have to purchase the rest individually. I've bought about half of them and I can highly recommend them.
Fizicks1
Jun15-12, 12:38 PM
P: 38
I also used the IB Study Guide by Tim Kirk that Mepris mentioned. I thought it was very helpful- it was my most used physics textbook throughout my 2 years of IB physics and pretty much the only book I used for preparing for the exams. It also seem to fit quite well with what you said you were looking for- a slim, concise revision guide.

Tsokos' book is a good book too, in that it explains conceps quite clearly and thoroughly. It's a great book for actually learning the material. But as an exam preparation tool, it's not the best, contrary to Tim Kirk's study guide.

I got most of my pastpapers from my school as well as by searching online. Don't really remember the sites, so can't really help you on that.

Good luck!

Register to reply