Register to reply

Pivoted rod - impulse applied so no horizontal force on pivot

Share this thread:
Aaron7
Apr3-12, 07:29 PM
P: 14
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
There is a rod of length L pivoted on one end. It is originally at rest horizontally then released. When vertical, an impulse is applied to bring the rod to rest.

Throughout the question I have worked out I = 1/3 mL^2

w= √(3g/L) at the vertical position and an impulse of m√(gL/3) is the minimum required to achieve bringing the rod to rest.

I am attempting to find the impulse and distance from the pivot so that no horizontal force is exerted at the pivot.

2. Relevant equations

G = I dw/dt
v=rw
a=r dw/dt
Angular impulse J = r x (Impulse) = change in angular momentum
Angular momentum L = Iw

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried: impulse required = mv = mrw
=> m√(gL/3) = mr√(3g/L)
=> r = L/3

I am confused on how to find the impulse and its distance so that the horizontal force on the pivot is 0. Any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
tiny-tim
Apr4-12, 02:59 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,157
Hi Aaron7!

Find the change in (linear) momentum of the centre of mass that gives you the magnitude of the impulse

then find the change in angular momentum of the whole rod that give you the torque of that impulse

Register to reply