Calculation of a particular functional (path) integral

In summary: Since the exponent now contains only integrals, we can use the formula for Gaussian integrals to simplify it further. As for the complex conjugate, it simply means that we need to take the complex conjugate of the entire term, i.e. we need to multiply it by its complex conjugate.I hope this helps you understand the derivation better. As for references, I would recommend looking into the literature on renormalization group analysis for more information. Good luck with your research! In summary, the average in the renormalization group analysis of a model for dissipative quantum tunneling can be derived by completing the square and using
Hypersphere
Hello!

On p.424 in the second edition of Altland & Simons, they compute an average as part of a renormalization group analysis of a model for dissipative quantum tunneling. I'd like to use their result in another situation, but I would be much happier if I understood how they derived it. I have discussed it with some of my professors, but we don't seem able to get it. Perhaps it is some "trick" that we just don't think of. Anyway, the step I find difficult is

[itex]\langle S_U \left[ \theta_s, \theta_f \right] \rangle = \frac{c}{2} \int d\tau e^{i \theta_s \left( \tau \right) } \int D\theta_f e^{-\frac{1}{4\pi g} \int_f \frac{d\omega}{2\pi} \theta \left( \omega \right) | \omega | \theta \left( -\omega \right) } e^{i \int_f \frac{d\omega}{2\pi} e^{i\omega \tau} \theta \left( \omega \right) } + c.c. \\ = \frac{c}{2} \int d\tau e^{i\theta_s \left( \tau \right) } e^{-\pi g \int_f \frac{d\omega}{2\pi} |\omega|^{-1}} + c.c.[/itex]

where [itex]\theta_s[/itex] is the "slow" field and [itex]\theta_f[/itex] is the fast one, [itex]c.c.[/itex] denotes complex conjugate and
[itex]\int_f d\omega \equiv \int_{\Lambda/b < |\omega| < \Lambda} d\omega[/itex]
i.e., it denotes integration over the fast modes.

To me, this does not seem as one of the usual formulas for Gaussian integrals as
1. the exponent contains integrals itself
2. I've seen a formula for the case with a completely imaginary term, but here the term seems generally complex
Also, in the first line, the complex conjugate is of the entire term, i.e. it will begin with [itex]e^{-i\theta_s \left( \tau \right)}[/itex] In effect, I don't know how to complete the square properly.

Does anyone have an idea on how to proceed, or perhaps know of a good reference for this kind of problems? Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
By the way, it is a textbook-related question yes, so feel free to move it to the Homework and coursework question if you need to. It is, however, not part of any homework or coursework - rather my own research - so I was not sure on where to put the topic.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for your question. I can understand your confusion with the derivation of the average in the renormalization group analysis. Let me try to explain it in a simpler way.

Firstly, the exponent in the integrals can be rewritten as:

-\frac{1}{4\pi g} \int_f \frac{d\omega}{2\pi} \theta \left( \omega \right) | \omega | \theta \left( -\omega \right) + i \int_f \frac{d\omega}{2\pi} e^{i\omega \tau} \theta \left( \omega \right) = -\frac{1}{4\pi g} \int_f \frac{d\omega}{2\pi} \theta \left( \omega \right) | \omega | \theta \left( -\omega \right) + \frac{i}{2} \int_f \frac{d\omega}{2\pi} \left( e^{i\omega \tau} + e^{-i\omega \tau} \right) \theta \left( \omega \right)

This allows us to complete the square and rewrite the exponent as:

-\frac{1}{4\pi g} \int_f \frac{d\omega}{2\pi} \left( \theta \left( \omega \right) - \frac{i}{2\pi g} e^{i\omega \tau} \right) | \omega | \left( \theta \left( -\omega \right) - \frac{i}{2\pi g} e^{-i\omega \tau} \right)

Now, using the definition of the average, we can write:

\langle S_U \left[ \theta_s, \theta_f \right] \rangle = \frac{c}{2} \int d\tau e^{i \theta_s \left( \tau \right) } \int D\theta_f e^{-\frac{1}{4\pi g} \int_f \frac{d\omega}{2\pi} \left( \theta \left( \omega \right) - \frac{i}{2\pi g} e^{i\omega \tau} \right) | \omega | \left( \theta \left( -\omega \right) - \frac{i

1. What is a functional (path) integral?

A functional integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the probability of a quantum mechanical system transitioning from one state to another. It involves integrating over all possible paths that the system can take, taking into account the contributions from each path.

2. What is the purpose of calculating a functional (path) integral?

The calculation of a functional (path) integral allows us to determine the evolution of a quantum mechanical system over time, and therefore make predictions about its behavior. It is an essential tool in understanding and studying quantum mechanics.

3. How is a functional (path) integral calculated?

To calculate a functional (path) integral, we use a mathematical technique called Feynman's path integral formulation. This involves breaking the path into small segments and summing over all possible paths to determine the total probability of a system transitioning from one state to another.

4. What are some applications of functional (path) integrals?

Functional (path) integrals are used in a variety of fields, including quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and quantum field theory. They are particularly useful in calculating the transition amplitudes and propagators of quantum systems.

5. Are there any challenges in calculating functional (path) integrals?

Yes, there are several challenges in calculating functional (path) integrals, including dealing with divergences, choosing the appropriate path integration measure, and handling complex systems with many interacting particles. These challenges have led to the development of various approximation techniques and numerical methods to solve functional (path) integrals.