Register to reply

Bridge vs Building Structural Design?

by Pooty
Tags: bridge, building, design, structural
Share this thread:
Pooty
Apr9-12, 05:04 PM
P: 34
I am elated since I just landed a job with a design firm that does a lot of post-tensioned bridge work. I was hoping that some working engineers that have done both can compare it to other types of structural design, such as buildings, retaining walls, pressure vessels, etc..... I have always been under the impression that it is hard work which is why we have done very little of it in my structural engineering classes. I do have experience with pre-stressed concrete design and didn't think it was too difficult. They do a lot of single spanned bridges which I can see as being both easier and more difficult than multiple span bridges. One, it is simply supported as compared to indeterminate, but two you are having to design for much higher bending forces. I am merely a grad student with no real world work experience so I was hoping someone could talk about the difficulty of both and which is more rewarding.

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
DIY glove-based tutor indicates muscle-memory potential
Tricorder XPRIZE: 10 teams advance in global competition to develop consumer-focused diagnostic device
Study shows local seismic isolation and damping methods provide optimal protection for essential computing equipment

Register to reply