Register to reply

Static pressure and airflow at reduced fan speeds

by msparks
Tags: air flow, fan, speed, static pressure
Share this thread:
msparks
Apr10-12, 07:02 PM
P: 1
This is probably a stupid question but I've been going around in circles for a while now and have gotten myself completely confused.

I have a fan and a pump, with performance charts (static pressure vs. air flow) for both. I need to try and determine flow rates for each device when run at reduced speeds.

The fan/pump will be pulling a gas flow through a small tube, and exhausting to atmosphere. I know that's not the right way to use a fan, but that's what I'm stuck with right now. I can measure the pressure at the fan/pump inlet while running at different voltages.

Searching around the internet, I found that air flow is linearly proportional to fan speed and static pressure is proportional to fan speed squared.

So I'm guessing that if I'm at half the fan speed I should be at a quarter (.52) of the static pressure. I can measure the pressure, multiply by 4 and look it up on the chart. Then take the corresponding air flow and knock it in half to get the actual flow rate.

That's a complete guess. If anyone can steer me in the right direction, I would appreciate it because I'm really stuck here. Thanks for your help.

Michael
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history

Register to reply