Help Solve Energy Problem 2: Tarzan & Jane's Swing

• Thread starter Port
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, Tarzan can land on a branch after his swing continues at a maximum height of 30 degrees from the horizontal.
Port
i kinda also need help on another problem. i can't even start this problem because i have no idea how! can someone please tell me how?

Tarzan and Jane, whose total mass is 130kg, start their swing on a 5m long vine when the vine is at an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal. At the bottom of the arc, Jane, whose mass is 50kg, releases the vine . What is the max height at which Tarzan can land on a branch after his swing continues?

Physics news on Phys.org
ok so its 30 degrees from the horizanrtal and the rope is 5m long so you can fidn the diference from their current height and the height at the bottom of the arc right? with that height you can use the potential energy forumla mgh(mass x gravity x height). And I think, not totally sure, you can set that equal to the potential energy at the max height reached which would be mass of just tarzan x gravity x max height. solve for max height

In order to be able to do this, you need to assume some initial speed- probably you are to assume that Tarzan and Jane just grab the vine and drop so the initial speed is 0. You know the initial height compared to the height at the bottom of the arc- it's
r- r cos(θ)= r(1- cos(30))= [itex]r\frac{2-\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex]- so you can calculate the change in potential energy= kinetic energy and so the velocity at the bottom of the arc. Tarzan now has that velocity so you can calculate his kinetic energy and convert that to potential energy to find the maximum height.

HOWEVER, I believe that the two persons could be treated separately anyway- I can see no reason why Tarzan would not rise up to the same height as initially.

1. How does the swing work?

The swing works by converting the potential energy of Tarzan and Jane's initial height into kinetic energy as they swing down. This kinetic energy is then converted back into potential energy as they swing back up, creating a continuous swinging motion.

2. What materials are needed to construct the swing?

The swing can be constructed using a sturdy rope or chain, a strong branch or support structure, and a seat or platform for Tarzan and Jane to sit on. It is important to use materials that can withstand the weight and force of swinging individuals.

3. How can the swing be made more energy efficient?

To make the swing more energy efficient, the materials used should be lightweight yet strong. Additionally, the swing should be designed to minimize air resistance and friction. The angle and length of the swing can also be optimized to increase the efficiency of the swinging motion.

4. Can the swing be used as a renewable energy source?

The swing itself cannot be used as a renewable energy source, as it relies on the energy input of Tarzan and Jane to keep swinging. However, the concept of converting potential energy into kinetic energy can be applied to other renewable energy sources, such as hydroelectric power.

5. Are there any safety concerns with the swing?

As with any physical activity, there are potential safety concerns with the swing. Proper materials, construction, and supervision are necessary to ensure the safety of those using the swing. It is also important to consider the weight and strength of the individuals using the swing.