Autotransformer - power transferred by conduction/induction

• Thread starter killerdevil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the conversation is discussing the difference between power delivered by conduction and power delivered by induction in a transformer. The formula "S = E1I1 = E2I2" is used to calculate power by induction, while the equation "Power Transformed = Load × (1–K)" is used to calculate power by conduction. When the turns ratio is 1:1, the power delivered by induction is zero, and all the power is delivered by conduction directly from the mains.
killerdevil

Homework Statement

Upon finding my max. rated output power, and after finding the power transferred by conduction, can i just use:
Output power - power transferred by conduction = to get my power transferred by induction?

or do i have to apply the formula where, S = E1I1 = E2I2?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure if i did the question correctly, but in the answer given to me, they used "Output power - power transferred by conduction" to get power by induction. however, when i did my working using the formula "S = E1I1 = E2I2", my answer was different.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi killerdevil. There is a worked example at the foot of this page that will slay you. :smile:

when they state power transformed, are they referring to the power delivered at by induction? therefore they use power conducted - power transformed = power conducted??

Let's work it out.

Their equation is: Power Transformed = Load × (1–K)

If K=1 you know we would be dealing with a 1:1 turns ratio, and you know for a 1:1 turns ratio that power by induction is going to be zero. What does their equation give for K=1? It says Power Transformed = 0.

So it looks like "power transformed" is that delivered by transformer action, i.e., by induction. https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
so when does the equation for conduction comes in? how is induction related to conduction? what is the difference between power delivered by conduction and power delivered by induction?

When K=1, you saw that zero power is transformed by induction. Therefore all the power in the load is delivered by conduction directly from the mains--no transformer coil involved.

What power on the load side isn't due to induction must be due to conduction.

What is an autotransformer?

An autotransformer is a type of transformer that is used to transfer electrical power from one circuit to another through the process of conduction and induction. It is a single-winding transformer with a common section that serves as both the primary and secondary winding.

How does an autotransformer transfer power?

An autotransformer transfers power through the process of conduction and induction. In conduction, the electrical current flows through the common section of the transformer. In induction, the magnetic field created by the current induces a voltage in the secondary winding, which allows power to be transferred to the secondary circuit.

What are the advantages of using an autotransformer?

One advantage of using an autotransformer is its compact size and weight compared to traditional transformers. It also has a higher efficiency and lower losses, making it more cost-effective. Additionally, an autotransformer can provide variable voltage output, making it useful in applications where voltage regulation is required.

What are the potential risks associated with autotransformers?

One potential risk of using an autotransformer is the potential for electrical shock if proper safety precautions are not taken. There is also a risk of overloading the transformer, which can cause damage or failure. It is important to follow proper installation and usage guidelines to prevent these risks.

How do you determine the power rating of an autotransformer?

The power rating of an autotransformer is determined by the size of its common section, as well as the current and voltage ratings. The size of the common section directly affects the maximum power that can be transferred by the transformer. It is important to choose an autotransformer with a power rating that meets the requirements of the application to ensure safe and efficient operation.