Autotransformer - power transferred by conduction/induction

by killerdevil
Tags: autotransformer, power, transferred
Share this thread:
killerdevil
Apr17-12, 05:49 AM
P: 20
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Upon finding my max. rated output power, and after finding the power transferred by conduction, can i just use:
Output power - power transferred by conduction = to get my power transferred by induction?

or do i have to apply the formula where, S = E1I1 = E2I2?

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not sure if i did the question correctly, but in the answer given to me, they used "Output power - power transferred by conduction" to get power by induction. however, when i did my working using the formula "S = E1I1 = E2I2", my answer was different.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Apple to unveil 'iWatch' on September 9
NASA deep-space rocket, SLS, to launch in 2018
Study examines 13,000-year-old nanodiamonds from multiple locations across three continents
NascentOxygen
Apr17-12, 07:31 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,327
Hi killerdevil. There is a worked example at the foot of this page that will slay you.
killerdevil
Apr17-12, 08:13 AM
when they state power transformed, are they referring to the power delivered at by induction? therefore they use power conducted - power transformed = power conducted??

NascentOxygen
Apr17-12, 08:47 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
Autotransformer - power transferred by conduction/induction

Let's work it out.

Their equation is: Power Transformed = Load (1K)

If K=1 you know we would be dealing with a 1:1 turns ratio, and you know for a 1:1 turns ratio that power by induction is going to be zero. What does their equation give for K=1? It says Power Transformed = 0.

So it looks like "power transformed" is that delivered by transformer action, i.e., by induction.
killerdevil
Apr18-12, 12:44 AM
so when does the equation for conduction comes in? how is induction related to conduction? what is the difference between power delivered by conduction and power delivered by induction?
NascentOxygen
Apr18-12, 01:32 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
When K=1, you saw that zero power is transformed by induction. Therefore all the power in the load is delivered by conduction directly from the mains--no transformer coil involved.

What power on the load side isn't due to induction must be due to conduction.

Register to reply