Register to reply

Riemann sums question

by KataKoniK
Tags: riemann, sums
Share this thread:
KataKoniK
Jan15-05, 08:02 AM
P: 168
When calculating Lf(P) and Uf(P) there can be many different answers correct? Provided that you solved it properly.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
dextercioby
Jan15-05, 08:12 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,927
Quote Quote by KataKoniK
When calculating Lf(P) and Uf(P) there can be many different answers correct? Provided that you solved it properly.

What do you mean??Have you read you question after writing it,to see whether it makes any sense?If the superior Riemann sum is different from the inferior one,the definite integral does not exist.Period.Since they involve taking a limit,that is not multivalued.

Daniel.
HallsofIvy
Jan15-05, 08:25 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,565
Quote Quote by KataKoniK
That's not a very well phrased question. If you are given a particular partition, P, and a function, f, the Lf(P) is the sum of "length of interval times least value of f in that interval" and is a specific number. There are not "many different answers". The same is true of Uf(P). In general, Lf(P)< Uf(P).

Of course, a different choice of P might result in different answers.

KataKoniK
Jan15-05, 12:14 PM
Riemann sums question

Thanks for the replies. I was just looking over some examples. So, just say they give a P = {0, 2, 3, 4} etc. they say to choose a number in between for ie. 0 and 2, so 1/2 or 1/4 would be correct choices, which will also result in a diff ans if one chose 1/2 instead of 1/4. I'm just learning this stuff, so sorry if I wasn't clear enough.
KataKoniK
Jan15-05, 01:52 PM
nm I got it!

Register to reply