Register to reply

Books on electrostatics

by imran
Tags: books, electrostatics
Share this thread:
imran
Jan17-05, 09:27 AM
P: 18
can any one suggest me books on electrostatics and electromagnetism at a graduate level as iam preparing for indian institute of technology (iit).
it would be a great help for me.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
Gokul43201
Jan17-05, 03:29 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
The standard Graduate Level text is J D Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics. Griffiths is a good book to have too.
Dr Transport
Jan17-05, 07:28 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,481
Smythe, Static and Dynamic Electricity is good although it does not have any scattering theory. I like Schwingers book also, Stratton is another classic, out of print so long I cannot find a copy anywhere. Jackson is good, but not the best.

Griffiths is becoming the standard at the advanced undergraduate level, although it leaves something to be desired. For my money, I'd teach an advanced Undergraduate course out of Wangsness, constant notation, consistent presentation order between electric and magnetic phenomenon.

al_dd
Feb23-10, 06:00 AM
P: 1
Books on electrostatics

the best one is resnik halliday,,but no one book is sufficient ...you have to keep other references too.....try kenneth L.kaiser (electrostatic discharge)...a few other gud books are physics by kumar mittal,,h.c. verma,,g.c.agrawal...try UBD physics (a very comprehensive book)....
jasonRF
Feb26-10, 06:48 PM
P: 698
Quote Quote by imran View Post
can any one suggest me books on electrostatics and electromagnetism at a graduate level as iam preparing for indian institute of technology (iit).
it would be a great help for me.
If you are going to be in a physics department then, as others have stated, Jackson is the standard graduate-level book. I am somewhat fond of Stratton as well, which I understand was a physics book of yesteryear.

If you will be in an electrical engineering department, then your choice will be harder, mainly becaus graduate electromagnetic theory books for EEs tend to focus on waves and almost completely ignore statics. For nice discussions of waves I really like "time-harmonic electromagnetic fields" by Harrington; other "typical" books include Balanis' "advanced engineering electromagnetics", "elctromagnetic wave theory" by Kong, and "Electromagnetic Wave Propagation, Radiation, and Scattering" by Ishimaru. One funny thing is that Stratton's topic selection is fairly in-line with what EEs want these days (except for the electromechanical-type stuff in the early chapters).
shivamde
Jun3-11, 05:34 AM
P: 3
hey !!!! actually i completed my 12 exams ,,,and i am taking drop dis year.....so it is a requst to u all can u pls telll me wich is d best book for electrostatics .....beause i wil be takingevery singe topic n will master it.....so i want to know aal d best boos in dis world related to electrostatics........frm ancient books to newer /............pls help me ..i will thankful to u
clem
Jun3-11, 05:40 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,266
Franklin "Classical Electromagnetism" has a lot of grad level electrostatics.
There is a cheap paperback version available only in India.
shivamde
Jun3-11, 06:09 AM
thank u clem....but can u sujjest me more bokks on dis toics frm aund world n of best writters pls
George Jones
Jun3-11, 06:47 AM
Mentor
P: 6,248
Quote Quote by shivamde View Post
thank u clem....but can u sujjest me more bokks on dis toics frm aund world n of best writters pls
Please do not use textspeak in posts.

Physics Forums rules, to which everyone agrees when they register,

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380,

in part, state
In the interest of conveying ideas as clearly as possible, posts are required to show reasonable attention to written English communication standards. This includes the use of proper grammatical structure, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling. SMS messaging shorthand, such as using "u" for "you", is not acceptable.
brocks
Jun3-11, 06:14 PM
P: 183
Quote Quote by shivamde View Post
hey !!!! actually i completed my 12 exams ,,,and i am taking drop dis year.....so it is a requst to u all can u pls telll me wich is d best book for electrostatics .....beause i wil be takingevery singe topic n will master it.....so i want to know aal d best boos in dis world related to electrostatics........frm ancient books to newer /............pls help me ..i will thankful to u
Sorry, I'm not aware of any advanced physics books written in your language.
qspeechc
Jun4-11, 10:32 AM
P: 792
The OP is in the last year of school and wants a book, or so I gather, to prepare for university. He caused some confusion by calling it a 'graduate book', which is not what he wants.

Someone else mentioned Halliday and Resnick, and if you know calculus, I second that.
shivamde
Jun5-11, 06:33 AM
i doesnt mean books in my lanuge .........but rather rather i mean books of any author ...........the main point is to clear the concepts to thr root........i will find that book....but i just want to know the names..........n i guess i am finding it on internet but if i could get ur suggestions then it would be great

Register to reply