by Stephen Tashi
Tags: doubt
Share this thread:
Curious3141
May23-12, 08:52 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,954
Quote Quote by jgens View Post
I always thought the phrase used mostly in the UK was "sat an exam" but I could be dead wrong on that one. In any case, the English people speak in Singapore is much closer to British English than American English, at least in terms of the colloquialisms people use.
But we were discussing "setting an exam" as in the examiner devising and administering an examination to test students.

"Sitting an exam" is equivalent to taking it, and I believe there's no dispute between US/UK/Singapore English.
jgens
May23-12, 09:54 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,622
Quote Quote by Curious3141 View Post
But we were discussing "setting an exam" as in the examiner devising and administering an examination to test students.
Ah! I see. My mistake.

"Sitting an exam" is equivalent to taking it, and I believe there's no dispute between US/UK/Singapore English.
In the US the phrase "sitting an exam" is not common at all. The 'proper' phrase would be "taking an exam" so there is a dispute between American English and UK/Singapore English
sharhabrine
Jun15-12, 02:18 AM
P: n/a
This is interesting as from my beginning I believe it as a word used in sentences now I am clear it is not a sentence, it is a phrase that is used.But are they really not use in other countries?
Chi Meson
Jun15-12, 09:14 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,772
What do the Aussies and Kiwis say?

I've been teaching IB Physics for the past 6 years (and this was my last year--yay--next year back to AP--yay) where all the students "sit for papers." I liked to tell the students, in a posh London accent that they will "sit for papers which means..." then switching to exaggerated Merkin accent "yer gonna take an exam!"
sharhabrine
Jun21-12, 05:51 AM
P: n/a
It looks other countries also uses this type of phrases,but is it not difficult in writing.

Register to reply