HELP! relationship between rate of flow of water and height of water column

by byronsakic19
Tags: column, flow, height, rate, relationship, water
byronsakic19
Jan23-05, 07:38 PM
P: 9
Purpose : to determine experimentally the relationship between the rate of flow of water through a narrow opening and the height of the water column.

any ideas in how i could do this experiment and what kind of data to use etc. and how this can conclude to a design in an hydro electric dam.

experiment is used with a 50 mL burette (tube with narrow opening) , stop watch, ruler, and beakers.

Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
Andrew Mason
Jan23-05, 07:59 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 6,591
Quote Quote by byronsakic19
Purpose : to determine experimentally the relationship between the rate of flow of water through a narrow opening and the height of the water column.

any ideas in how i could do this experiment and what kind of data to use etc. and how this can conclude to a design in an hydro electric dam.
Ask yourself the following questions:

1. what do I need to produce a column of water? Will it be big enough to give me a measureable volume of water flowing out the opening without changing the height significantly?

2. how do I measure the volume of water that escapes?

3. How do I measure the time it takes to escape so I can determine the volume/unit time?

4. How do I measure the area of the opening? How do I calculate the flow rate from that data and the area of the opening?

If you think about all these things carefully, you will be on the road to a successful experiment.

AM

Register to reply