Register to reply

HELP! relationship between rate of flow of water and height of water column

by byronsakic19
Tags: column, flow, height, rate, relationship, water
Share this thread:
byronsakic19
Jan23-05, 07:38 PM
P: 9
Purpose : to determine experimentally the relationship between the rate of flow of water through a narrow opening and the height of the water column.

any ideas in how i could do this experiment and what kind of data to use etc. and how this can conclude to a design in an hydro electric dam.

experiment is used with a 50 mL burette (tube with narrow opening) , stop watch, ruler, and beakers.

Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Andrew Mason
Jan23-05, 07:59 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 6,679
Quote Quote by byronsakic19
Purpose : to determine experimentally the relationship between the rate of flow of water through a narrow opening and the height of the water column.

any ideas in how i could do this experiment and what kind of data to use etc. and how this can conclude to a design in an hydro electric dam.
Ask yourself the following questions:

1. what do I need to produce a column of water? Will it be big enough to give me a measureable volume of water flowing out the opening without changing the height significantly?

2. how do I measure the volume of water that escapes?

3. How do I measure the time it takes to escape so I can determine the volume/unit time?

4. How do I measure the area of the opening? How do I calculate the flow rate from that data and the area of the opening?

If you think about all these things carefully, you will be on the road to a successful experiment.

AM

Register to reply